Recent birds part 2

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bottom Clinger 02 Apr 2024

The weather was great last Saturday. Saw Brent geese on the Eden Estuary, a real treat as they are uncommon where I live (although I often see tens of thousands of pink feet most weekends).  And I saw a load of Slavonian grebes, 10+ in the end. Getting into their summer plumage. One thing I’ve learned is that the white tip of their bill makes their bill look even more stunpu, especially compared to the black necked grebe (which has a much finer, ever so slightly upturned bill). 

In reply to Bottom Clinger:

And some great views of long tailed duck, showing varying plumage but some in full summer plumage, I think, not really sure. But I love them. My favourite duck. And a low flying Eider.  Saw loads , including great views of stonechat. But no snow bunting….  I’d post more photos but my laptop has run out of charge !  

Michael Hood 03 Apr 2024

Nice, I especially like the shot of the Brent with their reflections - seen them on Anglesey several times.

Grebes, hmm, seen Slav & Red-necked in my youth, never seen Black-necked, need to see all 3 now.

Don't think I've ever seen Long-tailed Duck.

Obviously not in the right places at the right time.

In reply to Michael Hood:

A couple of testers for folks who fancy a go. The song thrush was the star though, a bird we should see a lot more of. 

I purposefully took this photo ‘out of focus’, to make IDing more of a challenge….

Nice photos and selection esp given the weather it’s been.

I think the Brent geese maybe in the same spot as I saw them last year! I’m assuming it’s W Sands; only place I’ve seen them.

IDs - I think I know all of them but No 3 is more a guess. I’ll guess Red-throated Loon/Diver. I’ll leave the rest for others to ID.

Re the out of focus photo, I’m struggling but see some similarities with Sanderling, Dunlin and Grey Plover? 

Michael Hood 03 Apr 2024
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

> IDs - I think I know all of them but No 3 is more a guess. I’ll guess Red-throated Loon/Diver. I’ll leave the rest for others to ID.

That was my thought, Red-throated is meant to hold its bill more upwards than the other divers, still winter plumage or maybe immature. 1st one's straightforward, 2nd one's usually a city dweller with relatives in deciduous woodland. Song Thrushes can be really annoying when they're singing away at the top of some huge tree but you still struggle to spot them.

> Re the out of focus photo, I’m struggling but see some similarities with Sanderling, Dunlin and Grey Plover? 

Grey Plover on the right I think, Sanderling and I think the two bigger ones on the left are Greenshank. I think the little one on the left is also a Sanderling but it might be a Dunlin still in winter plumage. I'm also a weeny bit concerned that the Sanderling showing us its backside looks to be a bit bigger.

> I'm also a weeny bit concerned that the Sanderling showing us its backside looks to be a bit bigger.

I thought that it was much larger for an Sanderling and that could have been maybe a Greenshank with tricky light/focus affecting colouring, etc, but decided to ignore! The two larger left I passed over as I couldn’t really see much in them; maybe a light/focus tricking my eyes. Did think knots at one point, but again I was struggling generally with that photo. The heads appeared dark for Greenshank I thought.

There again, think I need to get my eyes tested, or start again learning waders!!

Michael Hood 03 Apr 2024

Zooming in the legs look green but apparently Knot have grey-green legs - however they feel a little high for Knot. I've now had a look in a bird book to see if there's something I've missed - going to stick with 3 Sanderling, 2 Greenshank and 1 Grey Plover.

But now I'm wondering about the Diver, whether it might be Black-necked or even a Red-necked Grebe in winter plumage - need a video or multiple shots

Post edited at 20:34

Yup, RT diver. And it’s knot a dunlin  Ruddons point  

Post edited at 21:43

You’re right about the city dweller. It was very busy feeding, flitting all over the place. 

Anorher tester for those that want a bash. And the goldcrest allows good views, loads of them, feeding up before setting off across the North Sea.  

Michael Hood 05 Apr 2024

Firstly, not sure I understood exactly about the waders, was it 3 Knot 3 Sanderling in the end?

The gulls, not sure why I'm trying this because chances of success are slim but from right to left...

• 1, 4, 5, 6 & 7: 1st summer Common
  • 2 & 3: Adult Black-headed
  • 8: 2nd or 3rd summer Herring

But I suspect I might only score 2 out of 8

I was kinda hoping that it was just the two larger birds to the left that were the knots, and the right one still a GP.

Braver than me to ID the gulls apart from the two black headed ones!

I’m still putting off the task of learning the larger gulls as it seems so hard with all the variations over time/ages.  I would have more chance of IDing the loch and direction of taking the photo (assuming BC took it in Fife) than getting the gulls!! Need to just get on with it soon though.

In reply to Climbing Pieman and MH

> I was kinda hoping that it was just the two larger birds to the left that were the knots, and the right one still a GP.

Spot on  

> Braver than me to ID the gulls apart from the two black headed ones!

Zoom in the the two ‘black headed’. The ont on the left is smaller, the one of the right you can make out it’s eye ring (but can’t on the left), the left hand bill: adult little gull! Thought I’d seen it but then they all took off.  The rest are comkon other than the BH  

Another from when the rather was good. Waaay off in the distance. 

Forgot to say: reckon you recognise those fence posts!  

From the same place as the above mystery photo.

Saw Twite on the landward side of the (now looks  semi permanent) Tenstsmuir flood, and 5 long tailed ducks, 3 RB mergansers, shelduck and redshanks n the pool way out towards Tenstmuir point. Tell you what, it’s been wet!  

storm-petrel 06 Apr 2024

I think the bird on the right in that third photo deserves a mention. Haven't seen one of those on the west side of the country for several years now.

Post edited at 08:09

Thanks for all that. Yes the fence is distinctive. That loch was substantially raised in water level deliberately I gather, but generally it’s lots of water everywhere these days. Doing little birdwatching even in the brief drier spells due to the amount of rain; I waiting for nicer weather!

Ah should have remembered Little Gull was a strong possibility as someone earlier in the year said a Little Gull had returned; oops forgot. One was there two year’s ago which was pointed out to me (and could have been last year not that I saw it).

Lack of eye ring - must remember.

Assume this photo is just a common buzzard being harassed, as would be usual, by crows. Male Snew photo in next post is fab; I’ve never seen one that close. The female Goldeneye looks slightly different in the neck.

Saw my first of the year Grey Wagtail last week at the same time as when I was back to get a better photo of the Bufflehead. Managed to see the iridescence on the head and neck more easily despite lack of sun. 

Not a buzzard. 

Assuming - bad habit!

I don’t know, but it looks like an owl shaped head now I look closer though I’ve yet to study them. Guess the flying if I had seen it might, just might have suggested something else. I usually listen for the buzzard's call for some confirmation of ID.

Referring to Collins bird guide though, and based on location and expectation of species present, it’s apparent large size, the visible dark “comma”, rough head shape, and the fact it’s daylight, I will risk a guess at Short-eared with a second guess at Tawny though Collins says they are nocturnal so would be unlikely.

Good work, SEO. Well pleased to spot it as I went there with the intention/hope of trying to see one - far end Cameron Reservoir. Got my scope out and ‘bingo’, it was perched on a post way out. 

Michael Hood 06 Apr 2024

I'd dismissed Little & Mediterranean because it looked like there was some black at the end of the wings, if Little adult presumably that's black making an appearance from the underwing.

To CP - Grey Wagtails all year round on the Irwell in Salford

Male Smew is on my list, I can see that next winter I'm going to have to start driving to where specific birds are likely to be

> I'd dismissed Little & Mediterranean because it looked like there was some black at the end of the wings, if Little adult presumably that's black making an appearance from the underwing.

Seems like it could be an age thing. Check out the BTO video on the three birds which says that although in full adult plumage the Black headed gulls is the only one with black wing tips it should be noted that young Little and Med gulls share this feature. About 1:34 - https://www.bto.org/develop-your-skills/bird-identification/videos/bto-bird... .

JCurrie 06 Apr 2024

Culbin Forest today. Beautiful, warm sunny day. Windy though which made spotting difficult. Did see our first swallows of the year though.

Lots of amphibian action too.

Re the little gull; what you think is it’s black wing tip is actually the shadow caused by its slightly raised wing. It’s a full adult bird. 

In reply to JCurrie:

Saw my first swallows today as well. Loads of them, probably pushed up in these strong winds. 

Michael Hood 07 Apr 2024

Just back from seeing the Glossy Ibis again, watched it for a little while before it flew off again, but at least I got decent views this time. The people in the horse stables said it'll be somewhere in those trees round the back but with the wind it was probably low down, certainly not visible. Whilst there I saw my first Swallows this year. I wonder how long before the ibis decides it's time to go back home.

Near there, have you been along the tidal road to Sunderland, especially not long after high tide when the road becomes driveable again. Amazing place, very remote feeling even though it's not. Redshanks everywhere, Shelduck and Curlew - the salt grasses are presumably nesting areas. Pair of Eider walking along the road, until they saw my car and flew off. Might be worth a visit at the right time of year and when it's not so windy.

Re: the gulls, of course when I looked at them I thought the challenge was going to be identifying the immature gulls; the 2 Black-headed were "obvious". Need to think more "Spanish Inquisition" and expect the unexpected.

Post edited at 16:19

Saw my first swallows on the Saturday, loads of them feeding with sand martins. And glad you got good ibis views. Many folk reckon the glossy ibis could be the next bird to start breeding in the U.K.  

Ive not been to Sunderland point but it seems right up my street. There’s massive high tides at the moment, with low pressure and flood water adding to the mix. This is when those far out/in the distance rare geese get pushed close in. You’d be keen to be out in this weather though !!  

Post edited at 09:52

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...