BMC RAD app

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 harvmarv 23 Mar 2024

Does anyone know when the BM RAD app will be updated?

Had a funny issue today that I couldn't install it as the app was "made for an older android version" . . .

Alternatively are there other similar apps people use?

In reply to harvmarv:

Just use the website.

I can't tell the difference between the app and dusting off an ancient, flaky browser to view the website.

Post edited at 13:41
 Luke90 23 Mar 2024
In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

The main advantage of the app would be that it caches data for offline use. Increasingly rare these days to have no internet connection, in my experience, but still happens occasionally, so useful to have the app if you find yourself planning an unexpected change of venue in the middle of nowhere.

gravy 23 Mar 2024
In reply to Luke90:

The main disadvantage of using the app is the incredible wait you need to suffer while it tries to update the cache when the network is poor (ie always when you need it). 

Post edited at 15:52
 Luke90 23 Mar 2024
In reply to gravy:

Yeah, that's annoying, but if you have no signal at all, it pretty quickly gives up and opens with whatever data it's already got cached. If necessary, you can always stick airplane mode on for a minute while you open it, to force it to rely on the cache.

BMC Cymru 23 Mar 2024
In reply to harvmarv:

I'll look into this this week - can you share your phone details with me at eben.muse@thebmc.co.uk?

As people have said below, the app works without internet connection, but otherwise there is integration with UKC logbooks so you can get the information easily that way if you have a connection. 

We're aware the app isn't perfect but hopefully it serves a purpose and we are quite low on resources at the moment to put into improvement. Apologies for the difficulties and thanks for using the RAD, the fact climbers are pretty good for using it (or using the data via UKC) is a great tool for us when dealing with landowners.

Eben

OP harvmarv 23 Mar 2024
In reply to BMC Cymru:

Thanks Ebin - I will do that shortly.

I wonder if I would be able to help out on the app dev side of things 🤔

OP harvmarv 23 Mar 2024

thanks all - I guess I am not missing out on much with the appp then since I don't plan to go to any remote crags anytime soon!

I'll stick with the site for now

Andy Johnson 24 Mar 2024
In reply to BMC Cymru:

I like the app and the RAD is a great resource.

But one issue I had with the app on Android was that it would insist on opening any thebmc.co.uk web links, even if they weren't links to the web version of the RAD. This made it hard to access the bmc website, on the occasions that I needed to.

I eventually had to disable the app's Open Supported Links permission to fix this. Doesnt seem to stop the app working.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...