Thermarest NeoAir Uberlite S Sleeping Mat

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jasonC abroad 14 Mar 2024

Hello

Thinking of buying one of the above but have read some mixed reviews, though mainly good ones but enough to be a little worrying.

I've been using a Nordisk Ven 2.5 Short Self Inflating Mat which is okay but not really comfortable, it's not as thick as the NeoAir.

Does anyone have any experience of using one of these.

Jason

Pedro50 14 Mar 2024
In reply to jasonC abroad:

I have found it pretty comfortable, I do worry about it's durability though. I sometimes carry a very thin piece of closed cell foam 74g which protects it and would provide some insulation if the worst happens.

TobyA 14 Mar 2024

I guess its the same as in this review? https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/camping/sleeping_bags/therm-a-rest_hyperion... 

In which case I still use it often, but do find its narrow enough to slide off, or more easy, feet come off, so you wake up with chilly tootsies once in a while. If bikepacking I do often take just because it is so light and compact, but sometimes I go for this one instead https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/camping/sleeping_mats/sea_to_summit_ultrali..., accept the couple of hundred grams more weight knowing that it's a comfier in the sense that you're much less like to roll off it, or find your feet have slipped off.

OP jasonC abroad 14 Mar 2024
In reply to TobyA:

Thanks

I've got that quilt so it's a good review for me, should have thought to search this site for a review.

I'm really keen on the low weight so I might chance it.

Jason

OP jasonC abroad 14 Mar 2024
In reply to Pedro50:

Is it one of these?
https://ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/featherweight-evazote-foam-mat/

I have the same one.

Glad you found it comfortable, I think I'll get one.

Thanks

Pedro50 14 Mar 2024

Not quite the same I just bought some off a roll after an Internet search but spookily they're the same weight.

galpinos 14 Mar 2024

I have one that I got cheap to use for mountain marathons. It's the smallest, coldest and least comfortable of my mats. It's also very crinkly. It is, however, minuscule so if weight and size is of the essence, I take it. If warmth or comfort is required, I garb one of the others.

dread-i 14 Mar 2024

Alpkit Numo is ~£100 less, but ~100 grams heavier. I've used it for multi day ultras, its full length so you dont have to have your feet on your rucksack. I use it inside a bivy bag, if outside. I wouldn't trust any inflatable mat straight on the ground. I've also got a tyvek sheet, I can use as a groundsheet, which is light weight.

TobyA 14 Mar 2024
In reply to dread-i:

How long have you had your Numo? I went through a bunch of them when they kept having problems but it is a decade ago now. https://lightfromthenorth.blogspot.com/2014/01/physics-you-can-sleep-on-des... 

dread-i 14 Mar 2024
In reply to TobyA:

I think it was 2021/22, fairly recent. I haven't noticed the insulation failing, as you mention. But then again, I've probably done less that 10 nights on it, as I use it for racing or fast and light. When car camping I have something heavier.

CantClimbTom 14 Mar 2024

I have one, but in standard length not short.

For me it wasn't as crisp-packet noisy as I'd feared, there is some noise when you move but it's OK. Like others I also use a thin closed cell foam mat underneath it to protect it and increase insulation. Last time I used it was in hideous conditions and the only spot vaguely out of fierce wind/rain and flat was a concrete plinth, so slept on cold concrete in about 5 degrees C. Needed that thin foam mat, but in a summer campsite could sleep on a thin groundsheet or direct on grass with it not needing a foam mat

Impressed by the tiny size and weight, I don't regret buying it. It's very light and small 

Guy Hurst 14 Mar 2024

I wouldn't trust any of the NeoAir pads, of equivalents from other manufacturers, without a very light closed cell foam mat as a back-up. They're great when they work, but I've spent a couple of very cold and uncomfortable nights after a two of them stopped doing so and I had no plan B.

Robbo1 16 Mar 2024

I've got one, and as others say it is noisy. Mine also seems to deflate a bit during the night, but not enough to bother searching for the leak. I love how small it packs and how light it is but if buying again I'd go for the new slightly heavier version that is supposed to be a lot less noisy.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...