Remote access to a computer suggestions please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 13 Mar 2024

I used to use TeamViewer but these day's you got to pay to use it.

Could anybody suggest a Remote Viewer that I could use to access a family computer so that I don't have to travel or pull my hair out trying to explain what to do over the phone to a person who barely knows what a Left Click is?

mrphilipoldham 13 Mar 2024
In reply to The Lemming:

Been a long old time since I last used it by Real VNC should do the trick! It used to be free, not sure if this is still the case but have a look. Simple to use once the server and client are installed.

Rob Exile Ward 13 Mar 2024
OP The Lemming 13 Mar 2024
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

> Doesn't Windows have an application for that?

I'm not sure, at least I never knew about the feature. My problem is that I want to connect to an Apple computer. Would this be a problem?

Brass Nipples 13 Mar 2024
In reply to The Lemming:

> I'm not sure, at least I never knew about the feature. My problem is that I want to connect to an Apple computer. Would this be a problem?

Are you connecting from Linux? It would help if you provided all relevant details, before it turns into a game of twenty questions.

Post edited at 19:08
OP The Lemming 13 Mar 2024
In reply to Brass Nipples:

> Are you connecting from Linux? It would help if you provided all relevant details, before it turns into a game of twenty questions.

I have a Window's box and I want to connect to another Windows or Apple box.

I primarily want to use the software on the other person's box to edit video footage to help out.

Spready 13 Mar 2024
In reply to The Lemming:

That could be fairly intensive... 

Windows Remote Desktop is available if you are both Windows Pro... 

Other than that Teamviewer used to be the best for reducing sync and lag...I also stopped using it due to costs. There was once a free version.

I know a few people use Splashtop... But even that is now 50 quid a year.. 

In reply to The Lemming:

Chrome remote desktop is free and platform agnostic (apart from Raspberry Pis which is mildly annoying)

In reply to The Lemming:

Remote Desktop is apparently supported by MacOS:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/remote-desktop/apdf49e03a4/mac

In reply to captain paranoia:

> Remote Desktop is apparently supported by MacOS:

Also available for iOS via App Store.

> Remote Desktop is apparently supported by MacOS:

Also available for iOS via App Store.

Not sure if that is just a client, allowing an iThing to access RDP on a host.

The MacOS link suggests it can be used to remote into a MacOS host. But I've not used it; I've only used RDP to access Windows and DietPi linux hosts, from Windows and Android clients.

Yes iOS one is a client, at least that’s how I used it about 9 years ago.

MeMeMe 13 Mar 2024
In reply to The Lemming:

You'd normally use VNC to access a Mac computer remotely (from either another Mac computer or a Windows computer) - https://www.howtogeek.com/214220/how-to-access-your-macs-screen-from-window...

Post edited at 22:36
 elsewhere 13 Mar 2024
In reply to The Lemming:

You'll have to open up a port on the family member's home router so you can get access to their computer. If you want to access several computers on the same home network that will be another complication.

SouthernSteve 14 Mar 2024
In reply to The Lemming:

The issue here is not some of the software being mentioned (Microsoft Remote Desktop, VNC or Remote Desktop [Apple]), which will all work, but the firewall setting that would have to be down for these to work natively without being blocked. The usual way around this is to use a third part agent like TeamViewer that uses ports used by standard services (used by the Web) or to set up a VPN on your firewall, but that is complicated to set up on most boxes, and individual at each site. 

In our business we have a TeamViewer licence, but even a single seat is getting really expensive now. VNC Connect, Troopmessenger and Logmein are all free. I used VNC connect years ago and it was OK, I have not used the others. 

Post edited at 06:40
 DamonRoberts 14 Mar 2024
In reply to The Lemming:

Another plug for Chrome Remote Desktop. Does everything you're asking for as long as you use Google Chrome.

berthengron 14 Mar 2024

Parsec is popular in gaming, may still have free version…

Hooo 14 Mar 2024
In reply to The Lemming:

A few people on this thread have mentioned VNC or Remote Desktop. These would be perfect on a local connection, but are not viable over the internet. You could in theory open the relevant ports through the firewall, but this would be a really bad idea, for what should be obvious reasons. I suppose if your family have a firewall sophisticated enough that you could open the ports but only access them from your IP that would work, but since you'll both be on dynamic IPs that could turn out to be a right pain.

I exclusively use TeamViewer nowadays, but then I'm not paying for it 🙂 A long time ago we used LogMeIn. I think it's basically a way of routing VNC over a WAN connection.

Post edited at 08:08
 ianstevens 14 Mar 2024

> Are you connecting from Linux? It would help if you provided all relevant details, before it turns into a game of twenty questions.

I see you are new to these threads

Andy DB 14 Mar 2024
In reply to The Lemming:

Chrome remote desktop is really good. Works cross-platform and really easy to use

OP The Lemming 14 Mar 2024
In reply to Andy DB:

> Chrome remote desktop is really good. Works cross-platform and really easy to use

Reading about it right now.

Cheers everybody

Mark Edwards 14 Mar 2024
In reply to The Lemming:

I've used Hamachi and found it very good. Free for Windows, Mac and Linux.

https://vpn.net/

Summit Else 14 Mar 2024
In reply to The Lemming:

For remote assistance on Windows 10/11, definitely use Windows Quick Assist.  Dead straightforward, no extra configuration, easy for both assistant and assistee.  Launch by pressing Ctrl+Windows+Q or typing 'Quick Assist' at the start menu.

Brass Nipples 14 Mar 2024
In reply to ianstevens:

> I see you are new to these threads

Does he post them often then?

Fraser 14 Mar 2024
In reply to The Lemming:

I've used AnyViewer quite a lot and never had any problems with it. Good functionality too and stable. 

Luke90 14 Mar 2024
In reply to elsewhere:

> You'll have to open up a port on the family member's home router so you can get access to their computer.

This isn't true for the vast majority of remote access solutions that are targeted at the general public, including several of the options that have been suggested here. So it's a valid point in relation to some of the suggestions, but I think you've overstated it by not being specific about what it's relevant to.

elsewhere 14 Mar 2024
In reply to Luke90:

You're probably right.

Blue Straggler 15 Mar 2024
In reply to The Lemming:

Please let the thread know how you got on and what you used

yorkshire_lad2 16 Mar 2024
In reply to The Lemming:

Teamviewer still have a free version available for personal use (no commercial use, or paid use, and they sometimes make you re-apply for personal use if they suspect you of commercial use but are usually happy to reinstate free personal use if you ask nicely).  However, the scammers have been using Teamviewer for a while to do remote access, so it's getting a bit of a bad name.

I have no connection with Teamviewer, other than as a (free for personal use) user.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...