Cuillin rucksacks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Guy Hurst 08 Mar 2024

My 30-odd litre rucksack, an Osprey Talon, is nearing the end of its life and I'm thinking of getting something a bit more traditional and hopefully long lasting. The Scottith Mountain Gear Cuillin rucksacks look quite tempting and reasonably priced, but I can find very few reviews of them.

The other obvious option is an Aiguille Alpine sack, but the prices for these is a bit eye watering and I'm not sure if the extra cash would be worth it.

For reference, the new sack would be mostly used for hill walking, winter and summer, with a few scrambles, low grade climbs and light overnight trips thrown in. I don't want loads of features, but I like at least one good sized lid ocket and wand pockets if possible.

Any views on the two options above, or other possibilities?

olddirtydoggy 08 Mar 2024
In reply to Guy Hurst:

The one that when you load it up in the shop and stick it on your back feels the most comfortable. I find packs like boots, get the wrong one and it's no fun.

65 08 Mar 2024
In reply to Guy Hurst:

I honestly had no idea that they were still making these packs. I had one for over 20 years when they were branded Murray Hamilton (a leading Edinburgh climber, now a guide in the Alps/Ecrins), I used it for everything until it fell apart, considering the use/abuse it got it did very well. I doubt you could go wrong with one, they're basic and old fashioned (when was the last time you saw crampon straps on the lid?) but nothing wrong with that. SMG are a sound bunch, they've done quite a bit of bespoke work for me over the years and I'm a very satisfied customer.

Aiguille packs are also very good, but expensive.

To the best of my knowledge, both companies would customise their packs for you if you had any special requirements. 

Post edited at 23:01
 Timmd 08 Mar 2024
In reply to Guy Hurst:

By osmosis I get the impression that both companies make 'bomb proof' rucksacks, measuring the back length of your comfiest rucksack and contacting them about their dimensions towards testing one at home if you'd be able to post it back again might be a plan?

storm-petrel 09 Mar 2024
In reply to Guy Hurst:

I have the Cuillin 2 36 litre version. I can't really comment on its durability as I haven't had it for long and illness has kept me off the hills for much of that time. It looks and feels to be very well made though.

When I have used it it has felt very comfortable. It sits snug against my back with no airspace. Although I run quite hot I personally find that is the most comfortable way to carry stuff. There is no length adjustment on the back though and only single adjustments on the shoulder straps.

There is one good sized lid pocket and one wand pocket which is on my right when wearing the sack. The straps are all made of chunky webbing and the buckles are of a sensible size. Crampon and ice axe straps look very well made. They are very old school but they are where I personally like them (I've only ever climbed at very low grades). I haven't yet used either though.

Can't think of anything else to add. It looks exactly like the pictures on the website.

OP Guy Hurst 09 Mar 2024
In reply to storm-petrel:

Thanks for the input everyone. Just one more question. Are the SMG litres generous litres? Or more like pints, as is the case with some kit firms?

storm-petrel 10 Mar 2024
In reply to Guy Hurst:

I had the chance to compare my 36 litre Cuillin pack with a 38 litre Osprey pack today. My SMG pack is noticably a bit smaller but I wouldn't like to say if the difference is more than 2 litres or not. I also don't know whether the size of the Osprey pack is accurate.

Post edited at 17:42

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...