Camping stove less than 43 long

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lex 02 Mar 2024

Hi all, 

I'm having to replace my trusty beloved Titan Tilley camping stove in my van. I built the furniture around it, so I need to replace it with a similar sized stove, ideally also with two rings and a grill. 43 cm long (though it's actually left to right as you look at it) is the maximum. And it also needs to be able to take Calor bottles.

Any suggestions as to makes and models which will fit?

Cheers, Lex

DaveHK 02 Mar 2024
In reply to lex:

We got a Dometic one, don't know exact sizes but worth checking out. Expensive though.

Do you know that some of the smaller calor bottles have been discontinued?

Post edited at 15:06
In reply to lex:

Have you thought of trawling ebay for another Tilley?  Most modern twin burners appear to be a lot wider.

In reply to lex:

You might also look at chandlery websites, but yacht hobs will not be cheap.

OP lex 03 Mar 2024
In reply to lex:

It was Calor discontinuing the 4.5kg bottles that prompted the replacement. But subsequent research (= Googling) has shown they have changed their mind and the 4.5kg will continue. So my Tilly will continue... but I'll be on my single burner until they catch up with the refill backlog. 

I'll check the Domestic though, just in case. Thanks.

Cheers, Lex

Kimberley 03 Mar 2024
In reply to lex:

You could also run your Tilley from a Camping gaz 907 bottle which is what I do, more expensive than you current set up though.

In reply to lex:

> It was Calor discontinuing the 4.5kg bottles that prompted the replacement. But subsequent research (= Googling) has shown they have changed their mind and the 4.5kg will continue. So my Tilly will continue... but I'll be on my single burner until they catch up with the refill backlog. 

> I'll check the Domestic though, just in case. Thanks.

> Cheers, Lex

I'm sure that a lot of camper van, caravan and yacht owners will be relieved, as the 7kg bottles offered as a replacement would not fit in their gas lockers.

OP lex 03 Mar 2024
In reply to Kimberley:

Yes, I could but the Camping Gaz isn't far off twice the price for half the gas. That's why I converted it to Calor... 

Rick Graham 03 Mar 2024
In reply to lex:

> Yes, I could but the Camping Gaz isn't far off twice the price for half the gas. That's why I converted it to Calor... 

Cheaper again but with larger initial outlay is a refillable gas bottle.

I went for a Safefill as its approved by Morrisons for filling at their autogas stations. Also being a lightweight construction is translucent so can see the liquid level.

Propane rather than butane so actually works in cold weather.

If you are tight on space they do a 5kg cylinder 390mm high, 310 diameter

My flogas propane  6kg,  about 12 litres, cost £34 for a cylinder swap, autogas is about 90p to 105p per litre. Do the maths.

I found two free apps that show the location and price of outlets all over the uk and europe.

OP lex 04 Mar 2024
In reply to Rick Graham:

That is very interesting, thanks. I hadn't heard of Safefill. 

Just to check if it will suit my 40 year old Tilly stove, and I can connect the adapter.

Cheers, Lex

OP lex 04 Mar 2024
In reply to Rick Graham:

That is very interesting, thanks. I hadn't heard of Safefill. 

Just to check if it will suit my 40 year old Tilly stove, and I can connect the adapter.

Cheers, Lex

Rick Graham 04 Mar 2024
In reply to lex:

Had to research this quite a lot  last  year.

Getting convincing info on gas connections and gas/ cylinder prices is quite a task.

Fortunately , safefill are only trying to sell you a product so their website is fairly straighforward.

DM me if you want any more info.

DaveHK 04 Mar 2024
In reply to lex:

>  But subsequent research (= Googling) has shown they have changed their mind and the 4.5kg will continue. 

I thought they'd just extended the phase out period?

OP lex 05 Mar 2024
In reply to DaveHK:

According to Practical Boat Owner from Dec 2023

Calor Gas has confirmed that it is returning 3.9kg propane and 4.5kg butane cylinders back into circulation and is "working hard to return supply to normal as soon as possible".

but the news hasn't reached the Calor website yet! 

Thanks for the info  I might msg you shortly

Cheers, Lex 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...