Best Climbing Shoes for Bursitis / Achilles / Heel Pain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I'm currently dealing with insertional Achilles tendinous, specifically on my heel. My current shoes are all too agressive and irritate that area. I did go for a real comfort fit and changed to a pair of Scarpa helix's this summer, which helped massively! I may well just go for another pair of those, unless anyone has experienced similar issues and can recommend a shoe which isn't aggressive on the heel but also stiff? 

Cheers Al

Post edited at 20:35
 archibaldie 21 Feb 2024
In reply to Alistair Corbett:

My friend had this and got on well with la sportiva mythos. Not very stiff, but there is a stiffer version available 

In reply to archibaldie:

Thanks will check them out 

maxsmith 22 Feb 2024
In reply to Alistair Corbett:

Bit drastic but you can also cut off the tops of the heels of your shoes.  I did this with a pair of Scarpas when I was suffering badly with insertional achilles tendonitis and it worked very well and stopped any rubbing on the painful spot.

Your best bet may be just rehabbing the injury.  I found heel raises (slowly up and slowly down) solved the problem but do not go into dorsiflexion if you have insertional tendonitis.  So don't do them on a step just on the flat, build from both feet to one legged raises.  This article recommends just lowering but I think the current science is that raises as well as lowering would be optimum: https://www.running-physio.com/insertional-achilles-tendinopathy/

In reply to maxsmith:

Ah that didn't occur to me, good idea! I had read that online but its nice to hear from someone who's had first hand experience. Thanks for the advise!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...