Flying with a flask

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jenny C 10 Feb 2024

Am I best packing an (empty) stainless flask hand luggage or on the hold?

I know you can take empty bottles in hand luggage, but obviously they can't x-ray the inside for anything dodgy. Not sure about pressure changes if packed in the hold.

Cheers

rj_townsend 10 Feb 2024
In reply to Jenny C:

I’ve never had any problem with an empty flask being taken on board in hand luggage. Same with water bottles.

ianstevens 10 Feb 2024
In reply to Jenny C:

It’ll be fine. Just open it when you put it through the scanner.

wbo2 10 Feb 2024
In reply to Jenny C: Take the top off and put it in the hold if you're concerned

OP Jenny C 10 Feb 2024
In reply to rj_townsend:

I know empty water bottles are ok, just wasn't sure with the a flask having internal void that can't be opened - maybe I'm being paranoid.

Marek 10 Feb 2024
In reply to Jenny C:

> ... Not sure about pressure changes if packed in the hold.

Most planes pressurise the hold to the same level as the passenger area. Otherwise the floor would need to be much stronger/heavier.

rj_townsend 10 Feb 2024
In reply to Jenny C:

> I know empty water bottles are ok, just wasn't sure with the a flask having internal void that can't be opened - maybe I'm being paranoid.

Sorry, I should have been clearer - I was referring to the metal flask-style water bottles that are everywhere now. Most airports now have the taps to refill them once you’re through security, which is useful.

OP Jenny C 10 Feb 2024
In reply to rj_townsend:

Yes I'm thinking a proper hot drinks flask, not a designer water bottle.

(Will be taking my platypus to fill up with for water during the fight)

climberchristy 11 Feb 2024
In reply to Jenny C:

I've taken the sort of proper hot drinks flask that you're describing on flights numerous times over decades.  I've always put it in hold luggage with lid off.

nikoid 11 Feb 2024
In reply to Jenny C:

I've seen people put them separately in the tray to go through the scanner. Seems a sensible idea.

Mr Fuller 11 Feb 2024
In reply to Jenny C:

I’ve never had a problem with one in carry-on. Only occasion of note was in Munich where I realised I had a full litre flask of water when I got to security. I asked the security guy, who was massive, if I could pour the water away. “No. You must drink it” he said. He sounded exactly like Arnie. So I downed it there and then with him staring at me and the queue backing up behind me. Once I was done I put the flask in the tray. “Goood” said the security man. 

Graeme G 11 Feb 2024
In reply to Jenny C:

I’ve just come back from Verona. On the way out my flask was full. Nobody seemed fussed.

elsewhere 11 Feb 2024
In reply to Jenny C:

The flask can maintain its shape and vaccum against normal atmosphere pressure so it will be fine at the reduced pressure in an aircraft or on a mountain.

jimtitt 11 Feb 2024
In reply to Mr Fuller:

> I’ve never had a problem with one in carry-on. Only occasion of note was in Munich where I realised I had a full litre flask of water when I got to security. I asked the security guy, who was massive, if I could pour the water away. “No. You must drink it” he said. He sounded exactly like Arnie. So I downed it there and then with him staring at me and the queue backing up behind me. Once I was done I put the flask in the tray. “Goood” said the security man. 

Sometime this autumn Munich is going over to CT scanners and the old fluids rules are going (as well as electronics seperately) at London City and Schipol they are already in use.

ianstevens 11 Feb 2024
In reply to jimtitt:

Dublin too. They're incredible, and are a vast improvement on what is the most infuriating part of the airport experience.

OP Jenny C 11 Feb 2024
In reply to jimtitt:

Now that would be good, to be able to take a flask off hot tea onto a charter flight. Pretty sure though that Manchester doesn't yet have the scanners, so we are assuming no liquids for check-in. (Not a big deal, it's at the destination that we want it)

Thankyou everyone for your advice, sounds like we will be ok either way, but possibly easiest to just stick it (open) in the hold.

NathanP 11 Feb 2024
In reply to Marek:

> Most planes pressurise the hold to the same level as the passenger area. Otherwise the floor would need to be much stronger/heavier.

Not to mention that it would be bad news for pets and animals travelling in the hold.

veteye 11 Feb 2024
In reply to NathanP:

Is there a separate section for the animals? I know that stow-aways in large suitcases, in the past, have died in the hold, so did they lack oxygen? Or was it just the lack of ability to move/being cramped up?

OP Jenny C 11 Feb 2024
In reply to veteye:

Not just lack of oxygen but lack of heat, yes they have heated/insulated sections for animals (I think with crew access to check on their welfare) but no guarantee your case will be in that part.

alibrightman 11 Feb 2024
In reply to Jenny C:

> ... obviously they can't x-ray the inside for anything dodgy. Not sure about pressure changes if packed in the hold.

I can't imagine a thin-walled flask is any barrier to x-rays. As others have pointed out, the rules on liquids are changing as better scanners are installed.

The hold is at the same pressure as the cabin. They're both inside the same pressure vessel, separated by a cabin floor with air vents in it.

Post edited at 21:50
 montyjohn 12 Feb 2024
In reply to elsewhere:

> The flask can maintain its shape and vaccum against normal atmosphere pressure so it will be fine at the reduced pressure in an aircraft or on a mountain.

This may be true, but if there's a rapid decompression you really don't want the distraction of worrying about your flask whilst trying top recall the safety talk which you clearly didn't listen to.

Screw that, is my flask ok?

Luke90 12 Feb 2024
In reply to Jenny C:

> Pretty sure though that Manchester doesn't yet have the scanners, so we are assuming no liquids for check-in.

They're coming. I flew out from Manchester a couple of weeks ago and got diverted to the security line where they were testing out the new scanners. It was convenient not having to pull stuff out of bags. Obviously we didn't get the benefit of being able to take drinks through because we didn't know in advance that we'd get that line (or even that the test was happening). Did cost me time overall because my bag had to be searched. I had bananas in there and apparently the scanner AI isn't very good at fruit yet. Seemed like something they were expecting to be ironed out with time.

Neil Williams 12 Feb 2024
In reply to Graeme G:

> I’ve just come back from Verona. On the way out my flask was full. Nobody seemed fussed.

It may be an airport with the new scanners, once installed liquids are allowed again (up to a random and arbitrary 2l, not quite sure why not unlimited).

Neil Williams 12 Feb 2024
In reply to veteye:

> Is there a separate section for the animals? I know that stow-aways in large suitcases, in the past, have died in the hold, so did they lack oxygen? Or was it just the lack of ability to move/being cramped up?

Animals are near enough always transported in the hold.

Some aircraft have the option of not heating the hold (though there will be a bit of carryover from the cabin), if this is the case that'll be what they died of, or as you say potentially DVT or something from not being able to move.

You hear more often of stowaways being frozen to death in the wheel well or similar.

Post edited at 10:13

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...