older model Petzl Quarks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 maxsmith 31 Jan 2024

Hey all... I'm currently getting by in winter with a pair of Grivel Air Tech Evo axes with added plastic pommel horns.  I've decided to bite the bullet and buy something more technical.  I'm looking at used Quarks but interested to know whether the new picks are compatible with older models? Or is there a place to buy older picks? Future-proof me please

PJ2398 31 Jan 2024
In reply to maxsmith:

The new picks aren’t compatible with the Quark 1 but I’ve always got them from this website in Poland. God quality picks and very robust.

https://en.kuzniaszpeju.pl/en_US/p/Q-tatra/54

a crap climber 31 Jan 2024
In reply to maxsmith:

Which version? There's three different Quarks:

- The old leashed version

- The 'new' primarily leashless ones with a plain shaft and black triggers (if fitted with the originals)

- The current updated new version with hydroformed shaft and orange triggers

For the oldest ones Petzl no longer make picks but I think Kuznia do, maybe some other aftermarket ones around too.

For the two newer versions they take the same picks.

OP maxsmith 31 Jan 2024
In reply to maxsmith:

thanks both... in your opinions is there a noticeable difference in quality or weight between the three different models?

TobyA 31 Jan 2024
 TobyA 31 Jan 2024
In reply to maxsmith:

One think about the original Quarks, I found their bolts weren't that great - I did change blades on mine a couple of times, but when I went to do it the last time, the allen key span in the bolt head, and obviously rounded the fitting off. I got new tools not soon after so never did anything about it - the Quarks are now with the daughter of my friend, so she uses them still occasionally, but I would need to drill the bolts out and then obviously source new correct sized bolts that could be a pain. So you can get new picks for them (from the Poles) but if you are buying second hand be aware getting the old picks out could be a problem.

OP maxsmith 31 Jan 2024
In reply to TobyA:

Nice one Toby, useful advice.  Do the bolts go into a thread in the axe shaft itself (which could get threaded over time)? or bolt to nut through the pick?  

In reply to TobyA:

I mean the originals, the new ones from about 2011 and the slight update in about 2018ish. Sorry yes as you point out you can fit pinky rests to the originals to use them leashless.

Keep forgetting we can all post pictures now so hopefully this is clearer

Post edited at 16:00

In reply to maxsmith:

I think you'd struggle to tell the difference with the current and middle versions. Not used the oldest ones but one of my partners used to, he upgraded them to the middle version and seemed to think they climbed better. I think he was still using leashes at the time though so the change probably was quite noticeable.

TobyA 31 Jan 2024
In reply to a crap climber:

> Keep forgetting we can all post pictures now so hopefully this is clearer

I apologise too! I didn't realise there was the differences in 2011 and 2018 versions, but I can see it from the pics. Cheers. 

Yeah, the original ones came without the pommel/pinky rest - but they started fitting them as standard later. 

Fiona Reid 31 Jan 2024
In reply to maxsmith:

I have the second generation ones from 2012/13 or so and they definitely have bolt + nuts + washer so no issues with the shaft wearing. I assume the current generation are the same as the picks fit. If you buy new Petzl picks they come with (or did when I bought them a while back) new bolts, washers and nuts. 

This post has some close ups of the originals, looks like replaceable bolts, nuts and washers too but 3 bolts rather than 2 on the more recent models. https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/119743512/old-petzl-quarks-and-...

camstoppa 31 Jan 2024
In reply to maxsmith:

New quark picks do not fit old quarks and petzl stopped making old quark picks more than 10 years ago.

However:

Picks for all sorts of axes (inc old quarks) can be got here:

https://kuzniaszpeju.pl/kategoria/ostrza/1/default/1/f_at_11_39/1

NB: if you want to keep using the hammer or adze you need a compatible pick (there is a bit of extra metal removed to allow the hammer/adze to the reinstated - best check before ordering).

You probably want the "Q ice with cutout" for a like-for-like replacement of the quark I standard pick.

Post edited at 22:07
 rich432 31 Jan 2024
In reply to TobyA:

I'm using the 2nd gen ones and a mate has the new ones. While the newer ones moveable trigrest is definly sturdier its deffo worth noting that owing to the hydroformed shaft you can't secure them very high (when the shaft starts getting thinner they don't lock) which isn't as good for daggering but he reckons the flipping bit on the lowest rest is great for plunging the tools.

CurlyStevo 31 Jan 2024
In reply to a crap climber:

the old version are fine leashless just buy upper grip rest

OP maxsmith 01 Feb 2024
In reply to maxsmith:

thanks everyone, really useful

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...