Jetboil type stoves

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dave the Rave 30 Jan 2024

Evening all

I’’m mulling over the idea of a jetboil type stove, perhaps the MSR wind burner.

My reasoning being, that I want to save a bit of weight.

Generally these days, I’ve moved over to dehydrated food for backpacking instead of actual cooking, as I have to carry several tons (tins) of dog food too.

Also, I like a flask on the hill, which is pretty redundant and still heavy and bulky once you’ve drunk the contents. Though, easier to get a hot drink in bad weather and if water is scarce, which generally I don’t encounter.

My trips generally involve walking into a camp site( wild), pitching up, and bagging a few hills.

These jet boils would seem a good idea to take and replace the flask for drinks away from the site?

Any experiences greatly appreciated.

thanksDave

Andypeak 30 Jan 2024
In reply to Dave the Rave:

Wind burner was by far the best of the 3 I've used, the others being a jet boil (I forget the model) and an Alpkit version. Wind burner was excellent in the wind, well made and efficient with gas. Customer service was also brilliant when I lost the cosy and they sent me a new one for free. 

OP Dave the Rave 30 Jan 2024
In reply to Andypeak:

Thanks Andy

Witht the Windburner, is it possible to store water safely in the cooking pot, put it in a rucksack, and then just boil it when you need it? Or do you need to carry the water separately?

I’ m imagining either sitting in suitable ‘shelter’ or  bothy in adverse conditions to use it. Feasible ?

ta

Dave

Post edited at 21:14
 DaveHK 30 Jan 2024

For a brew on the hill a jet boil type stove is pretty handy but as a system for camp cooking they are heavy and bulky.

olddirtydoggy 30 Jan 2024

We bought a Jetboil Minimo after borrowing one on the Cuillin. I don't think weight wise we saved much compared to my micro burner and titanium pans but the stability, easy of use and speed made it worth it.

What flask do you use? Some of them can be a bit heavy but the Thermos Ultimate is not only light but very good at retaining heat.

Andypeak 30 Jan 2024

No, I would leak out everywhere. You'd have to take.the water in a bottle.

In reply to olddirtydoggy:

It’s not so much the weight of the flask,  it the fact it’s redundant once the contents are gone.

My new theory being that a light stove might be a better option than a flask?

In reply to Andypeak:

Thanks Andy👍

Guy Hurst 30 Jan 2024

I've carried a light canister top stove and titanium mug to do a brew on the hill and found I didn't use them very often; nowhere near as frequently as I would stop and drink a cup of well stewed tea from a flask. Brewing up was just too much faff, especially in poor conditions. I found the same true even of a mini Jetboil.

Jenny C 30 Jan 2024

Absolutely love our jetboil as a kettle, but if you are after a stove rather than a water boiler it's not the best. We still have an original jetboil, but if I was replacing I'd probably go with Alpkit based price.

As someone else said though, in bad weather the speed and convenience of a flask outperforms pretty much every time. TBH ours is almost exclusively used out of the car, so we can have hot drinks on the go when traveling.

In reply to Guy Hurst:

> I've carried a light canister top stove and titanium mug to do a brew on the hill and found I didn't use them very often; nowhere near as frequently as I would stop and drink a cup of well stewed tea from a flask. Brewing up was just too much faff, especially in poor conditions. I found the same true even of a mini Jetboil.

Thanks Guy and Jenny👍. I agree. Flask it will be then 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...