khangri geodesic tent users!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Thread moved from Hilltalk to Gear

Just bought one in the sale on the manufacturer website. Quite excited to be able to replace the ultra quasar as I tend to get out in conditions that justify this style of tent. Any one a fan? User tips/advice?

Emily_pipes 26 Jan 2024
In reply to Andrew Breckill:

I have one. I bought it in 2016.

The good: Easy to set up. Bombproof in wild weather. Pretty much like a Quasar, but with better pockets inside. It's very comfortable and roomy for its size.

The bad: The outdoor gear industry's obsession with fast and light, of which Alpkit is very much taking part. The inner tent got some holes due to the design of zippers and the design and weight of the pockets when you, you know, put things in them. All of that was easily fixed with some Gore Tex patches, but still.

After three years of moderate use, the fly ripped in the wind because the fabric had been weakened by UV damage. Alpkit replaced the fly for free -- so customer service win! -- but I think something marketed as a 'base camp tent' could easily be a kilo or two heavier than it is. No one should care that deeply, and as a base camp tent, you'd expect it to be set up for long periods of time in interesting weather. Heavier materials would make it more resilient. That's a problem the whole industry suffers, not just Alpkit, and it pisses me off.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...