Petzl core / rechargeable head torches

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Spagnal2012 09 Jan 2024

Hi All, 

My old tikka (back up / summer) and other external battery pack petzl thing are now 13 years old and I want to replace upgrade... 

It appears the market is now full of rechargeable jobbies and looking at the petzyl range it looks like you can still carry spare batteries just In case which I like the look of. 

What have peoples experiences been of these, is the core battery any good or a bit of a gimmic? 

Has any one any recommendations for a head torch that doesn't have an external battery pack that they rate well? 

Many thanks

Andy 

CantClimbTom 09 Jan 2024
In reply to Spagnal2012:

I like the core battery, I can charge it in my car from a normal phone charger (although the micro usb is now a bit dated), they are better than many rechargeable batteries in coldish weather. More convenient than 3 AAA rechargeables.

Guy Hurst 09 Jan 2024
In reply to Spagnal2012:

I've been carrying and using the Petzl Actik Core for a few years now and have found it to provide plenty of light whenever I've needed it to. It gets used most weeks, often by my partner who likes night walks with some of her friends, so it's gone through plenty of recharging cycles and shown no apparent drop in performance. It often gets used at below 0C and works just as well as at higher temps, although I've probably never tried it when it's been colder than -10C. It's not got a great waterproof rating, but I've used it in the rain a fair few times with no problems.

It has a limited number of light levels, but I like that. No phone apps or complex series of button presses are required. It also has a simple lockout function, which I reckon is just about essential.

I'm sure there are brighter, tougher and more technologically sophisticated torches around, but I've not been tempted to spend the cash required to get one.

wilkie14c 10 Jan 2024
In reply to Spagnal2012:

I too have the Petzl Actik Core and use it most days this time of year for dog walks (40 min per day) and longer for fishing. The brightest (blinding!) setting doesn’t last too long as its a heavy battery draw, when this happens, it steps backs to the middle level setting to conserve battery. I have learned that this middle setting is more than adequate for everything I need anyway. That highest setting would only realistically need using occasionally say for checking ropes have reached bottom of an abb etc. It only needs charging once a fortnight, overall I was skeptic at first but a year in and I’m really happy 👍

Robert Durran 10 Jan 2024
In reply to Spagnal2012:

I've got one and it is great. Nice and simple and easy to use without pointless complicated button pressing and flashing modes. I always carry spare normal batteries but have yet to use them on a single day outing. I have a cheap back-up headtorch for when I am charging it.

In reply to wilkie14c:

I find the brigtest setting is good in the hills when picking a way without a path at night, but yes, it does use the battery fast so only used when needed.

OP Spagnal2012 10 Jan 2024
In reply to Spagnal2012:

Hi All, 

Thanks for the replies, looks like the actik is a winner to me! 

I did spot some that had clever stuff on like reactive light and programmable etc but I'm not intelligent enough for that! 

Will get one on order, 

Many thanks 

Andy 

In reply to Spagnal2012:

> I did spot some that had clever stuff on like reactive light and programmable etc but I'm not intelligent enough for that! 

I think it does have some annoying fancy flashing modes, but, unlike with other torches, I've never got stuck in them by mistake. Button presses just cycle through the three brightnesses and holding it down locks the torch off.

In reply to Spagnal2012:

I was bought a Petzl Actik torch with a 350 lumen output a few years ago, and I later added a core battery. Very pleased with it - t350 lumens is plenty enough, in fact I usually use it on the 100 lumen setting, and the Core battery seems to have plenty of capacity and is easy to charge with a micro USB. Recommended.

The latest Actik Core torches have an output of 600 lumens. I believe.

In reply to Spagnal2012:

Regarding the durability of Petzl torches - I have used their headtorches since the days of the old Petzl Zoom with the weird flat pack alkaline battery, and they appear to be bombproof. Petzl make lights for diving and for use in potentially explosive atmospheres.

crayefish 11 Jan 2024
In reply to WildAboutWalking:

> I was bought a Petzl Actik torch with a 350 lumen output a few years ago, and I later added a core battery. Very pleased with it - t350 lumens is plenty enough, in fact I usually use it on the 100 lumen setting, and the Core battery seems to have plenty of capacity and is easy to charge with a micro USB. Recommended.

Same here.  My Actik Core is a real trooper and lasts ages on the very usable medium setting.  The battery does very well in the cold too.  Best torch I've owned since my classic Petzl Duo (and then only for nostalgia reasons).

deepsoup 11 Jan 2024
In reply to WildAboutWalking:

Even a company that mostly makes brilliant things can come up with a lemon now and then.  I had a Myo XP, which was great until it developed the same fault loads of them did.  Unfortunately in my case it was just a wee bit too late, after they'd changed their policy from "never mind, here's a replacement" to "out of warranty mate, computer says no".

John Kelly 11 Jan 2024
In reply to Spagnal2012:

I've had a few problems with 2 x actic's,  the sliding buckle has come apart, pretty serious problem when climbing. Never happened with older versions, pia because otherwise a great lamp.

wittenham 11 Jan 2024

Mine now switches itself off if the head unit is moved a certain way.  From the posts above, seems mine is an outlier.  It may not have had the easiest life over it is ~5 or 6 years so that might be a factor.

Other than that, a fantastic head torch and I agree on how straightforward it is to use.  [I cannot think of a single situation in which I want/need a bluetooth enabled headtorch].

Slarti B 11 Jan 2024
In reply to Spagnal2012:

I have the older model Aktik Core about 3-4 years ago which been great.  I like being able to back up the rechargeable battery with spare AAA batteries.  

But, I bought the latest model 9 months ago and there is an annoying design featurefault on the strap.  A bit difficult to explain but essentially one of the ends of the strap is not permanently fixed to the buckle but is held in place by pressure of strap.  If the strap is loosened the buckle can fall off completely, leaving you with a loose, floppy head torch. Very irritating!

Wainers44 11 Jan 2024
In reply to Spagnal2012:

Great headtorch,  and backed by petzls great aftercare. I had an issue with mine after a few years of use (started to randomly turn itself off!!). They changed it, absolutely no quibble and very quickly. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...