Guidance for climbing instructor who’s pregnant

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Paddy_nolan 03 Jan 2024

Hi All,

We have just found out my wife is pregnant. Future Adam Ondra/Hazel F maybe? 

My wife works for the local school and leads all their outdoor activities, meaning she takes loads of indoor climbing sessions (she holds all the required quals to do so). 

We’re trying to hunt around and see if anyone knows of any BMC/MT guidance that gives instructors who are pregnant some guidance, mainly so she can go back to her employer and start getting some contingency in place. 

the obvious thing she’s nervous about having to conduct a rescue (please no stupid comments, accidents happen, that’s why we’re thought how to perform rescues…) whilst wearing a harness, or belaying etc etc.  unfortunately it’s not as simple as asking someone else to lead because there isn’t anyone else

has anyone gone through similar or found some good guidance out there?

thanks in advance

paddy 

Doghouse 03 Jan 2024
In reply to Paddy_nolan:

Surely it's down to the employer to carry out a work place risk assessment for pregnant women?

I may well be wrong on this but I thought it was a legal requirement for employers to do this so it may be worth your wife approaching them in the first instance.

Luke90 03 Jan 2024
In reply to Doghouse:

Presumably the employers aren't particularly knowledgeable about climbing and OP's wife would rather approach them with some sensible proposals backed up by a reputable source rather than risking them coming up with something silly on their own, which seems sensible to me. Not difficult to imagine an employer coming up with some really annoying or impractical policies if left to their own devices.

In reply to Doghouse:

I find responses like this pretty hilarious, as if "employers" are omniscient, when, in reality they're just humans in charge of paying you - they'll just go and google it like anyone else and I can almost guarantee that they'll not understand it, or be able to do the research as well as a knowledgeable interested party.

If you expect "minimum legal requirement" to equal "optimum safe, tailored approach" you're in for a surprise.

I can't help with anything specific unfortunately. 

mrjonathanr 03 Jan 2024
In reply to Paddy_nolan:

Well firstly, congratulations!

Have you rung/emailed Mountain Training directly? They’re usually keen to help.

DaveR 04 Jan 2024
In reply to Doghouse:

The employer will probably carry it out by delegating the job to an employee, e.g. the OP's wife.

OP Paddy_nolan 04 Jan 2024
In reply to DaveR:

DING DING DING 🛎️ correct answer

So an additional level of fun is the person who leads the risk assessments and all educational visits, is my wife 🤦🏼‍♂️. 

good shout on calling MT, I’ll give them a call and put a link in here if there’s anything useful that comes out of it 

Post edited at 09:56
 nufkin 04 Jan 2024
In reply to Paddy_nolan:

> I've seen Duty Managers at my local wall wearing full-body harnesses - I assume that's been assessed as sufficient to a certain point in proceedings. Presumably there's a grey area between 'significant bump' and maternity leave that may be down to the individual deciding whether or not she feels happy and safe?

Doghouse 04 Jan 2024
In reply to Paddy_nolan:

There's a whole raft of information on the HSE and Gov.com websites that may be useful... 

https://www.hse.gov.uk/mothers/

https://www.gov.uk/working-when-pregnant-your-rights

Particularly the HSE section on Protecting Pregnant Workers and New Mothers with regard to risk assessments

https://www.hse.gov.uk/mothers/employer/risk-assessment.htm

In reply to Paddy_nolan: if she’s on the Women in Mountain Training Facebook group there may be someone on there who has been through similar and can advise.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...