Pertex pile salopettes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tingle 28 Dec 2023

Hi, looking for pertex pile salopettes that actually fit over ski boots. I like wearing my buffalo salopettes but they aren't made to go over ski boots, so to be honest i look a bit of an idiot! Any recommendations? 

philipjardine 28 Dec 2023
In reply to tingle:

just to be clear - you are looking for a some pertex pile salopettes to ski in that dont make you look like an idiot?

beardy mike 28 Dec 2023
In reply to tingle:

Simond/Quecha stretchy softshell trousers with some powerstretch tights underneath. If  you get the right ones they fit over your boots and the combo is usable in other scenarios and doesn't cost what buffalo costs. Plus you don't look like a British climber on a skiing holiday.

SIMOND Men’s durable windproof mountaineering trousers, black
£59.99
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/_/R-p-133045?mc=8386810

Remove the snow gaiter and I'd imagine they will zip right down over you boot cuff making a perfect seal.

Post edited at 22:43
OP tingle 28 Dec 2023
In reply to philipjardine:

I can deal with the style police, but having them hiked up around my knees is a step too far 

OP tingle 28 Dec 2023
In reply to beardy mike:

I hadn’t thought of a two part system. But yeah finding trousers that fit over might be an issue. I like looking unprepared, it sets expectations low. 

In reply to beardy mike:

> Remove the snow gaiter and I'd imagine they will zip right down over you boot cuff making a perfect seal.

The Simond trousers fit beautifully over my ski boots, snow gaiter & all. They are excellent skiing trousers.

top cat 29 Dec 2023

Get zips fitted to the bottom of the legs, ski with them undone.

beardy mike 29 Dec 2023
In reply to tingle:

Means you can use them for other activities. Th zips make it perfect. And you'll be sweating your nuts off in buffalo trousers...

CantClimbTom 29 Dec 2023
In reply to beardy mike:

Or... wear the buffalo trousers, but to regulate temperature OP could wear just a string vest for the upper half while skiing.

That will prevent the sweaty red face look of overheating and avoid looking like a weirdo 

Myfyr Tomos 29 Dec 2023
In reply to tingle:

Couldn't you just tuck your buffalo salopettes into your red woollen socks?

oldie 29 Dec 2023
In reply to beardy mike:

Or wear the buffalo High Altitude salopettes with the full length two way zips. With these undone from the waist you def won't freeze your nuts off, can still look like an idiot, and be arrested for gross indecency.

Dr.S at work 29 Dec 2023
In reply to oldie:

Surely petite rather than Gross?

beardy mike 29 Dec 2023
In reply to oldie:

I'm more worried that it'd be crazy hot rather than cold. Plus Buffalo Salopettes for some reason are 250 quid. Those simond trousers are 55 and you could get some non branded fleece tights for 13 quid from Decathlon. That saves you enough money for a couple of days ski pass...

Post edited at 20:41
 beardy mike 29 Dec 2023
In reply to oldie:

I just realised your meaning. That these salopettes are so damned hot that you can basically ski with you nuts hanging clean out of them and still be too hot...

oldie 29 Dec 2023
In reply to beardy mike:

Actually I had an old age moment and said the reverse of what I intended. The HA salopettes are really warm, but I find I can actually wear them on a hot summer day with the full length zips fully open and the leg material just lapping in the breeze (but showing a lot of wrinkly skin).

beardy mike 29 Dec 2023
In reply to oldie:

Do they come with mind soap?

OP tingle 30 Dec 2023
In reply to CantClimbTom:

I like how everyone’s roasting my gear yet I genuinely have a string vest and several woollen garms. I really can pull it off though 😎 

beardy mike 30 Dec 2023
In reply to tingle:

I'm not sure what's worse, a full suit of buffalo on the slope or this...

Arcturus 30 Dec 2023
In reply to beardy mike:

Yeah I know what you mean. Yellow helmets are so last season!

freeheel47 31 Dec 2023
In reply to tingle:

Hi- they are toooooo hot. Ive had the misfortune to ski in some Montane pertex pile trousers, also soem Patagonia Infurno trousers. Both way to hot and as a consequence I was exhausted.

Becky E 31 Dec 2023
In reply to tingle:

I seem to remember my Montane Extreme salopettes (like Buffalo, but by Montane) fitting okay over my ski boots.

I haven't used them for a few years, because it hasn't been cold enough. But I do remember they were great for a week of skiing when it was absolutely effing freezing in Les Arcs.

Have just checked Montane's website, and they don't see to do them any more.

critter 31 Dec 2023
In reply to tingle:

For the ultimate ' nobody gets on the same lift as me' look just add a Norwegian Byrne black mesh top.

OP tingle 31 Dec 2023
In reply to freeheel47:

I wear mine all the time now, but usually with just a very light hoody, always feel fine. Wearing them on the plane was too warm though of course.

OP tingle 31 Dec 2023
In reply to critter:

I am almost certain i have worn a combo of buffalo salopettes, brynje (long sleeve, im not a pervert) and ortovox merino hood. Its probably the perfect combination, not even joking.

In reply to beardy mike:

> SIMOND Men’s durable windproof mountaineering trousers

I found a kids' pair in a clothing reuse shop today; exactly the same fabric, and similar good, if simpler design. Looked unused. Had an irrational urge to buy them, 'just because', but resisted, since I don't know any 12-13 yr olds. At £10/kg, they'd be <£5...

critter 31 Dec 2023
In reply to tingle:

> I am almost certain i have worn a combo of buffalo salopettes, brynje (long sleeve, im not a pervert) 

Don't get me wrong, Byrne is great. Never going to be on the outdoor influencer list!

Remember the looks I got first morning, at breakfast, on the ski touring course I was attending a few years ago.

beardy mike 01 Jan 2024
In reply to captain paranoia:

My son has a pair and he's been doing loads in them. Basically look brand new after 9 months...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...