Meindl Breithorn boots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Maximusf 28 Dec 2023

Hello, has anybody used the meindl Breithorn boots if so what are they like? There isn't a review online or very many places that sell them in the uk. 

olddirtydoggy 28 Dec 2023
In reply to Maximusf:

I've not used that model but used to buy their hill walking boots for years and found them great.

You've probably noticed that Scarpa and Sportiva are hogging the upper end of the winter boot market. I bought my first rigid boots from the bargin bins and used Boreal, Zamberlain and Hanwag which could be said are similar companies to Meindl, traditional boot makers making a fairly good standard of footwear. I found the Hanwag didn't last, the Zamberlains were very heavy and the Boreals were very cold.

Looking just at the image of those Meindl's, they do look a bit thin so perhaps they could run cold on climbs. They are also a bit heavier than the Sportiva model and I'd perhaps be put off by the lack of information on the model. The boots do appear to finish quite high up the ankle, would that be irritating to my calves? I don't know

All that said, you might get a great boot at a cheap price that serves you years but personally I wouldn't dream of buying a stiff boot without trying it on, some boots are a strong no within a second of trying them on in a shop. Good luck.

OP Maximusf 29 Dec 2023
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

Reckon I'm gonna play it safe and go for Nepal evos as I'm not fully convinced on the PU rands they use on lighter versions.

Stopsy 30 Dec 2023
In reply to Maximusf:

I think I have a pair of the breithorn's. A second hand purchase so not certain but they look similar. 

Meindl, as always, are a wider fit in the toe box versus Scarpa and La Sportiva, in my experience at least.

My previous boots were the Scarpa Triolet and the Breithorn's are definitely beefier, warmer and more comfortable, the soft cuff at the top of the boot is a particular feature I like.

I've climbed up to V, 5 in them and would definitely recommend them as a boot for lower end winter or summer alpine 4,000m trips. I'd possibly be worried about being too hot in contrast to the above. But horses for courses and all that!

OP Maximusf 31 Dec 2023
In reply to Stopsy:

Thanks, I reckon the meindl boots might be a bit wide for me and I'll stick to what I can try on in the shops. The meindl boots look very flat around the heel, do they have much padding around the heel to keep it in place as my previous boots where awful for that. 

Best wishes max

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...