REVIEW: SOTO WindMaster Stove

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 19 Dec 2023

Japanese brand SOTO have been known for decades for their high-quality camping stoves, and among the standout products is the WindMaster. John McKenna put it to the test over Autumn and early Winter, and was so impressed that he nominated it for Gear of The Year 2023.

Read more

In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

The centre of gravity of the stove seems way too high. Remote stoves seem a lot safer and more stable 

HardenClimber 19 Dec 2023

Is there any info on  carbon monoxide production....in past tests with stoves proximity of the burner to the pot was a risk factor for partial combustion (esp with things like melting snow), or is the flame still far enough away?

AlanLittle 19 Dec 2023
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

They're also a lot heavier. All design is about trade-offs and compromises.

In reply to AlanLittle:

I don't know if I'd describe 70g more as a lot heavier. 

It is something that I mention in the review about being quite high. Although I have had no problems on the type of ground that I have used the stove on. 

If you are ultralight concerned for a specific reason, then +70g is a lot heavier when you consider you are then close to doubling the weight of the stove at that point...

Like Alan says, there is no 'perfect' stove. All have their tradeoffs.

Without a doubt this will be an excellent stove for many (including myself).

In reply to John McKenna - Rockfax:

The stove isn't even that light. You can buy canister stoves that weigh 25g, for 96g you could have 4 BRS-3000T's. 

I guess the point that I am trying to make is that the success of a product is based on more than one aspect.

The BRS-3000T is an extremely lightweight stove and remote stove may often be a more stable option.

Does the BRS-300T have micro-regulation and great fuel efficiency, or does it perform as well in the wind as the Windmaster? Probably not. 

Is either stove better than the other? Well, that's completely dependent on what you want to use it for.

If you are only concerned about weight, maybe the BRS-3000T might be a better option for you. What if you also are concerned about weight and often in exposed windy environments where you also want to have short boil times and fuel efficiency across a number of days? Maybe you want to go with the Windmaster...

In reply to HardenClimber:

Hi,

I haven't seen any information on this (other than the usual instructions for use stating that CO can be produced therefore to use in a well ventilated space). But it is an interesting point.
We can try and ask SOTO to see if they have any technical information on this and get back to you.

Post edited at 19:10
 Z12 20 Dec 2023

Good, concise review, John.

Like many, I suspect, I've played around with lots of different stoves in a range of situations over the years, including the Soto for the last 4 or 5. As you suggest, no one stove is perfect in all situations, but if I were to have only one, it would be the Soto. It's like a little engineering masterpiece! FWIW, the piezo has never let me down (although I always carry a little lighter).

FreeloaderJoe 20 Dec 2023

The https://sotooutdoors.com/product/fusion-trek/

The Fusion Trek seems to be a remote canister version of the same stove. I've just ordered one. 

AlanLittle 20 Dec 2023
In reply to FreeloaderJoe:

Appears from the pictures to lack a preheat loop, which might make it less suitable for low temperature use. Unless the regulator mechanism eliminates the need for one?

In reply to Z12:

Thanks and good to hear you've experience with the Windmaster has been a good one. Totally agree it's a great wee piece of engineering! I imagine I'll be taking it with me on most backpacking trips now, it just ticks so many boxes.

Great to hear about the piezo, it seems having looked at others that it is rare for this to break. Which fills me with confidence.

kylo-342 20 Dec 2023

Good review. I have the Windmaster and am pretty happy with it. However, worried about knocking it over I also got the Fusion Trek, which I prefer as it’s more stable.  Have used both extensively over the past year.

Solaris 01 Jan 2024
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear and others, including Harden Climber:

Good review of a really good, well-designed and well-made, reliable stove that I've used on some reasonably gnarly solo, multi-day treks since 2019. For me, reliability is more important than absolute weight.

I have been pleasantly surprised by its fuel efficiency. It significantly outdid my own (admittedly conservative) calculations on how much gas I'd need to carry for a six day trip. Piezo starter is still going strong, though I carry a firestick, too.

Stability? Fine. I use mine with the Soto Thermostack pot set (https://www.climbers-shop.com/camping/pots-and-pans/soto-thermostack-combo-...) which is designed to sit on the pot support and, again, have been pleasantly surprised by its stability (on both squat and tall 250g canisters).

CO? Well, when I was thinking about buying one I had in mind a friend who nearly died of CO poisoning, and asked the vendor. I can't remember the technicalities – there's a good article in the AJ a few years ago by said friend who explains them – but the short answer is, iirc, that much depends on the shape of the burner ring and whether it allows there to be unburnt gas. The Windmaster, I was told, was good in this respect. I have used mine in a not very well ventilated tent – it was very windy; there's a limit to how wind resistant the Windmaster is – and am still alive (I think).

Post edited at 22:35
 AlanLittle 01 Jan 2024
In reply to Solaris:

> It significantly outdid my own (admittedly conservative) calculations on how much gas I'd need to carry for a six day trip. 

Just out of interest, since I'm planning a week-plus trip using one in the spring: how much did you use?

Solaris 02 Jan 2024
In reply to AlanLittle:

I decided to carry a 250g + a small cannister as backup but I'd have been fine without the spare. Trip was in Iceland last summer, temps were down to zero. Most days it was breezy (at least) and on several stormy days gusts were up to 50-60 mph. (My Hilleberg Akto just sat there, unmoved, though when it snowed horizontally I'd have been better doing up the venting zips )

I reckoned on 3-4 boils /day of 300-350ml water, and in my test, indoors at an ambient temp of ca. 22C with water chilled in the fridge, I used ≤7gms gas bringing the water to a rolling boil. I used the large Thermostack pot with a lid.  My 4 test boils consumed a total of 26g of gas.

Weighing was done on electronic kitchen scales. I noticed no difference in the amount of gas used to raised 350ml water at 2.1C and the same amount at 7.2C.

But of course, YMMV (and note the UKC tester's 9g/boil, iirc).

Re the Thermostack pot set: the stove kit bag sits neatly inside the smallest pot.

Post edited at 09:38
 Toerag 11 Jan 2024

> The centre of gravity of the stove seems way too high.

Yep, no advance on the 1980's CampingGaz Bluet in this respect.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...