New Mendip guides

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 leland stamper 15 Dec 2023

Just got the new Mendip Outcrops and Bristol Sport guides. No need to fly off to foreign rock and help destroy the planet or . Enough routes in those two to keep me busy for the rest of my life and only a bus ride away.

PaulJepson 15 Dec 2023
In reply to leland stamper:

> Enough routes in those two to keep me busy for the rest of my life

Read into that what you will, with some of the routes that end up in those guides

In reply to PaulJepson:

Hi Paul, good to hear from you.Life gets difficult at times, but I know you'll get through this with your usual positivity.🤗 All that northern grit can get a bit sameish I gather.

Post edited at 07:33
 The Norris 16 Dec 2023

Both the new gwr guides landed on my doormat yesterday too. 

I'm very much looking forward to some doorstep adventures!

PaulJepson 16 Dec 2023

None of it stands up to Snuffy and the sooner people get their heads round 'Gods own' actually being in the Frome valley, the better.

In reply to PaulJepson:

You might want to glance at the sport book and the sheer range of climbing now available around Bristol

PaulJepson 16 Dec 2023

Unfortunately the demand for sport climbing around Bristol far outstrips the supply, which has led to a lot of bits of rock which probably should be left to nature being stripped and grid-bolted. 

beardy mike 16 Dec 2023
In reply to PaulJepson:

So don't buy the book or go sport climbing around Bristol then and quit whinging. Not all routes are going to be good, or worth bothering with, I think we all know that. The same applies on just about any crag you can name... bar maybe Bosigran which is all fabulous and I won't have you say otherwise I know you're original post was slightly tongue in cheek, just quit while you're ahead?

GrahamD 18 Dec 2023

Who's the publisher?

In reply to The Norris:

Local and clearly more sustainable. No helicopters were used in production I believe.

Post edited at 11:52
 deepstar 18 Dec 2023

Mendip Outcrops is the culmination of years of effort and the quality of the text and photos demonstrate this. The quirkiness and charm really shine through, hopefully giving inspiration to a new generation of esoteric devotees.

slawrence1001 18 Dec 2023

New sport guide is great. Met the makers at Portishead quarry on a day cragging and even managed to get a cameo in the book. Great lot who care a huge amount about the development.

The routes aren't all top quality, but they're a lot better than being made out to be and the guidebooks themselves are great.

In reply to slawrence1001:

To be fair there is a Mendip choss grade alongside the usual star system. Haven't found a route which combines both yet but live in hope.

slawrence1001 18 Dec 2023

Curious as to where the Chossiest route in the Mendips would be. Surely anything at Burrington is a contender.

In reply to slawrence1001:

Burrington is more solid since several ton of rock was removed before breakfast one day. The West end of FCQ remains exciting (anything with a first ascent by James Jackson and his partner). On my wishlist has to be the beautiful Downhead Syndrome

Post edited at 18:37
 Dunthemall 25 Dec 2023

Getting out of Bacoile Quarry alive?

and yes I have visited and survived

johnl 26 Dec 2023

Just got my Mendip Outcrops guide from Santa, looks brilliant, can't wait to get out there. Big thanks to Mark and crew for their efforts.

remus Global Crag Moderator 26 Dec 2023

Quality guides by all accounts (maybe a bit biased as there's a few pics of me 😁).

beardy mike 28 Dec 2023

Just bought the Bristol Sport guide. Really quite inspiring how much work has been put in. Very impressed and it's provided so many new opportunities. Thanks for the effort put in to all involved.

duncan 29 Dec 2023

I've just got Bristol Sport. It's an excellent guide to climbing of mixed quality. The enthusiasm of the authors really shines out from the pages. As it covers some of the nearest sport climbing to the most populous corner of the UK I expect it will be very popular. 

There is a lot in it including a large amount of new easy (4s, 5s and 6s) climbing. There are even a few of that rare UK creature, the easy multi-pitch sport route. Despite being my original stomping ground, and still a regular visitor, much of it is new to me. I have repeated some of the recent additions at Brean and Uphill and these are valuable contributions. Most of this information is unavailable elsewhere.

A few of the areas/routes appear, from the photos and descriptions, to be questionable choices for equipping but I have not climbed them and will be happy if I am proved wrong. The authors have anticipated this with the inclusion of a friendliness symbol which covers the quality of rock and bolting independent of the quality of climbing. Areas that are unsuitable for beginners despite easy grades are indicated clearly. These are helpful innovations given how popular the contents will be with those new to the outdoors. Starring appears reasonable: criteria being would you recommend this route to your mate? The authors did a lot of the development and are honest about their likely biases , I wish other guidebooks were this transparent!

I contributed in a very small way to the guide, I know the authors, and - as much as anywhere - this is my local patch. Read this review will that in mind.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...