REVIEW: Christmas Books - Our Top Picks of 2023

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 13 Dec 2023

If you can't get to the hills or crags over the festive season then the next best thing is reading about them. Whether you're present buying for someone else or writing your own list to Santa, check out our pick of the best books published over the last year.

Read more

TobyA 13 Dec 2023
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

In my review of the "Adventures for Kids" I've just noticed I've made a mistake - where it says "I failed to even locate a couple of the boulders on the Burbage circuit (X Marks the Spot and the Shark Fin)." That should be the Birchen circuit, not the Burbage circuit. Apologies!

In reply to TobyA:

You're fired

TobyA 13 Dec 2023
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

I did consider blaming it on an editing mistake, but then decided it was far more likely to be me typing too quickly about my local crags, than you 700 kms away deciding to randomly to swap some crag names around!

<hangs head in shame>

gekitsu 13 Dec 2023

thanks for the recommendations! that is a good mix and yet still all very much on topic.

i just recently finished david smart’s royal robbins biography and was quite taken. very readable, and makes a good attempt at making robbins understandable, at different points of his life. i also liked that while it would’ve been easy to just go with how important a role in climbing he played and hang everything off the size of his legend, it didn’t shy away from also telling of less favourable turns later in his life (re environmentalism, for example).

also, a nice fleshing out of his relation to harding for all who only saw the rivalry in valley uprising.

luminary 14 Dec 2023

Thanks for the information! 

Sean Kelly 14 Dec 2023

Well whoever is the owner of the bookcase in the photo heading this article, obviously had stocked up some good malts for Christmas!

nufkin 14 Dec 2023
In reply to TobyA:

> I did consider blaming it on an editing mistake, but then decided it was far more likely to be me typing too quickly about my local crags, than you 700 kms away deciding to randomly to swap some crag names around!

I'd happily offer my services as official UKC Copyspoiler if everyone else is too busy 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...