Index of Crags Magazine

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BlownAway 12 Dec 2023

Hi there

Does anyone know of an index for copies of the old Crags magazines? I can't seem to track one down anywhere...

Phil

remus Global Crag Moderator 12 Dec 2023
In reply to BlownAway:

Might have tried this already but you could drop MHT a line and see if there's anything in their collection https://www.mountain-heritage.org/contact

Michael Hood 12 Dec 2023
In reply to BlownAway:

Many years ago I sold a complete set (1-33) to Tyler (IIRC), no idea if he still has them - I seem to remember one of the later ones having an index - but I might be remembering that from High.

Tyler 12 Dec 2023
In reply to Michael Hood:

I’ll take a look on Friday, I’m meant to be clearing my office ready to put guests up over Christmas so this is exactly the sort of displacement activity I’ll be looking for and I won’t even have to leave the room to do it!

Ian Parsons 14 Dec 2023
In reply to BlownAway:

There's an index on page 7 of issue #14 that covers 1 - 13; it's repeated on the same page of #15 and on page 40 of #17 - but the latter two still only cover the same 1 - 13. Have looked through all subsequent issues up to #33 and can't see another one. Was there ever a #34?

Are you looking for particular content?

OP BlownAway 14 Dec 2023
In reply to Ian Parsons:

Thanks Ian

i believe now that no ‘official’ index was ever finished, so it’s no wonder we can’t find it.

As for #34, I bet the gap between #33 and High #1 would explain that, but I haven’t checked exactly. That’s tomorrow’s job.

I’m not looking for anything specific, apart from anything that’s Lancashire guidebook area related, be it news, reviews, letters, photos or articles - and not just limited to Crags and High but all mags.

Cheers

Phil 

Ian Milward 14 Dec 2023
In reply to Ian Parsons:

Was there ever a #34?

Last one I've got is #33 too, so probably that was the end (of an era)?

Post edited at 17:12
 Pedro50 14 Dec 2023
In reply to Ian Milward:

I'm sure #33 was the last.

OP BlownAway 14 Dec 2023
In reply to remus:

> Might have tried this already but you could drop MHT a line and see if there's anything in their collection https://www.mountain-heritage.org/contact

With all due respect, the last question I asked MHT 2 years ago about an item in their collection still hasn’t been answered satisfactorily, and the Chair is no longer responding to my emails.

Post edited at 18:38
 remus Global Crag Moderator 14 Dec 2023
In reply to BlownAway:

Sorry to hear that Phil. If you want to email me directly (or I think we're in contact on Facebook?) I'd be happy to look in to your questions. I'll be at the archive in mid Jan so could have a rummage around if needs be.

Michael Hood 14 Dec 2023
In reply to Pedro50:

#33 was definitely the last, followed by High #1 - can't remember what the gap (if any) between was but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a long time.

The great anarchic nature of the early Crags had been gradually diminishing throughout it's publication run, to be totally banished by High and not resurrected until On The Edge appeared.

Ian Parsons 14 Dec 2023
In reply to Ian Milward and Pedro:

> Was there ever a #34?

> Last one I've got is #33 too, so probably that was the end (of an era)?

Yes. I've had another look in #33 and noticed a subscription offer for the upcoming High Magazine - due to appear in February 1982; and High #1 is indeed dated February/March 1982. There's no publication date given for #33, but it contains what must be a 'late news item' about the death of Al Harris on Friday 23rd November and his subsequent packed funeral which, one would have thought, must have been at least a couple of weeks later. The month is actually incorrect; 23rd November 1981 was a Monday not a Friday, but 23rd October was indeed a Friday - and Perrin's obituary on the following page, "Al Harris 1944-1981", specifically mentions "the last late October night" when the accident occurred. This appears to put the publication date of #33 at around late November/December 1981. With both Crags and High having been bi-monthly publications it looks extremely unlikely that an extra issue would have been squeezed out in January/February when the new magazine was itself scheduled for a February launch.

A coincidental outcome of this bit of research was spotting a couple of routes which subsequently appeared in guidebooks with recorded FA dates in 1982 - despite appearing in the New Routes section of that November/December 1981 issue!

OP BlownAway 14 Dec 2023
In reply to remus:

> Sorry to hear that Phil. If you want to email me directly (or I think we're in contact on Facebook?) I'd be happy to look in to your questions. I'll be at the archive in mid Jan so could have a rummage around if needs be.

No, it’s OK, thanks.

OP BlownAway 14 Dec 2023
In reply to Ian Parsons:

>>A coincidental outcome of this bit of research was spotting a couple of routes which subsequently appeared in guidebooks with recorded FA dates in 1982 - despite appearing in the New Routes section of that November/December 1981 issue!

Exactly! That’s part of the reason for what I’m doing.

There are also instances of the same route/ascent being recorded twice, 6/8 months apart.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...