Mammut Alpine Sender Dry 8.7mm vs Serenity Dry 8.7mm

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BruceM 10 Dec 2023

Has anybody had the chance to use a Mammut Alpine Sender Dry 8.7mm, and can comment on how it compares to the Mammut Serenity Dry 8.7mm that it's based on?

Is it basically the same rope with a different name or does it feel handle differently.

Cheers.

MischaHY 10 Dec 2023
In reply to BruceM:

It’s the exact same rope, Mammut just rebranded their range a couple years back. 

For anyone who wants to disagree I literally sat in the room whilst the Mammut head of product said this. 

OP BruceM 11 Dec 2023
In reply to MischaHY:

Thanks Mischa.

I had wondered.  As I'd read about the weird rebranding of all Mammut's ropes.  So, good news on the Serenity.  Awesome rope.

Cheers.

Mr. Lee 11 Dec 2023
In reply to MischaHY:

Yes, I've got the 7.5mm Alpine Senders for ice, which are the same as the Twilights. The only difference I've noticed is that the plastic ends on the newer version make it a bit harder to direct thread abalakovs. 

rsc 11 Dec 2023
In reply to MischaHY:

> It’s the exact same rope, Mammut just rebranded their range a couple years back. 

> For anyone who wants to disagree I literally sat in the room whilst the Mammut head of product said this. 

Interesting. Did they explain why they thought “Alpine Sender” was a better name than “Serenity”? (It’s the only thing about the rope I don’t like).

MischaHY 12 Dec 2023
In reply to rsc:

As far as I can remember it represented a recategorisation to a more clearly defined range (certain ropes only available in certain lengths etc) and with that came names which their brand team perceived to be more recognisable for the customer. 

All felt a bit 'Climb Britain' to me to be honest but they seem to be sticking with it. IMO Edelrid is by far the market leader in rope tech right now anyway so that's where I always steer people at work. The Protect range is really fantastic and in 2024 they'll bring out a new ultralight rap/haul line which will apparently weigh 14g/m. Very impressive if true. 

Jones_88 14 Dec 2023
In reply to BruceM:

Never used the serenity's, however I  replaced a pair of 60m genesis this year with 2x 50m 8.7 alpine senders.  

A dream to handle & It’s great when climbing on them as you don’t have to worry about placing gear evenly between them, even though you do it by default without thinking. 

I took one of them out last weekend for some winter stuff and it was a lot lighter than lugging my old 9.8mm 60m rope around. 

Unless I was doing long alpine days or regularly doing long 2 hour+ Scottish walk ins I’d say they were pretty bang on for UK trad & some easy winter  as a single. ( not had a chance to use them in uk winter as halves yet)

They feel super hard wearing & don’t really think most punters like me need a super light 7.5mm rope.  

Hope this helps. 

OP BruceM 15 Dec 2023
In reply to Jones_88:

Cheers.  Yes the Serenity was just as great.  As it seems (from above) it is indeed the same rope with a diff name.

The Genesis was awesome too mind you.

I use one Serenity/Alpine Sender 8.7 as a single, or paired with a lighter 8.0mm for even less weight on longer route stuff.  Great combo for traveling.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...