GEAR: The Great Wilderness Book - Photographs of the Scottish Highlands

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 06 Dec 2023

"The Great Wilderness" is a luxury hardback photography book depicting one of Scotland's most remote mountain areas. It shows the Highlands at their most beautiful during ephemeral moments of light, dramatic weather and seasonal change. It is the culmination of four years of work hiking hundreds of miles and wild camping for countless nights in the mountains.

Read more

Brian Pollock 06 Dec 2023
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

I have this book. It is not only full of stunning photography of the highest standard but, as an overall package, it is on another level from every other 'coffee table' book I own (and I have a lot). Alex had a hand in every aspect, from the embossed cover artwork to the maps which I understand he created himself. Even the place names are hand written. Furthermore, you won't find the images in this book on social media - rare and welcome in this day and age.

In my opinion, Alex sets the standard for photography of the Scottish Highlands and this book is the best way to experience and enjoy his work. As far as I am aware, there is literally no-one else doing this sort of thing - ie a multi year project to document a specific area of the Highlands with the purpose of creating a high quality book. Get it before it's gone because it will definitely sell out. His first book, North West, is now pretty much impossible to get hold of.

timparkin 06 Dec 2023

quick disclaimer - I know Alex well. 

However, regardless of that, I still consider this and Alex's North West books as two essential photography books if you're at all interested in the Mountains of Scotland (the others being Joe Cornish's Scotland's Mountains and Colin Prior's books). 

The quality of the book and reproduction is as good as it gets, and photographs are astounding (annoyingly good in many cases!).

Highly recommended

galpinos 06 Dec 2023
In reply to Brian Pollock:

When did you get a copy Brian? I pre-ordered a copy but haven't seen anything yet?

timparkin 06 Dec 2023
In reply to galpinos:

Alex is sending them out in batches now - he's just had a baby (pretty much the week the books arrived) and he's parcelling and sending them out himself, so bear with him He's absolutely reliable so they'll be coming soon.

galpinos 06 Dec 2023
In reply to timparkin:

Deliveries have been a bit "wayward" over the last week around me with the uptick in Christmas shopping so was concerned they had all gone out and my copy had gone awry. I'm jealous that others may have a copy already in their hands! The anticipation is through the roof.

Alex Nail 06 Dec 2023
In reply to galpinos:

Hi Nicolas, Your book should arrive tomorrow, but if you email I can give you a tracking number. Unfortunately, I had to prioritise the orders based on when they came in and I could only get 100 books out the door a day (it's a massive job!). But I'm up to speed now, so all future orders will be going out within a couple of days of the order.

Thanks so much Tim and Brian for some very generous comments!

galpinos 06 Dec 2023
In reply to Alex Nail:

No problem Alex, excited to get a look at it "in the flesh".

Cog 06 Dec 2023
In reply to timparkin:

> The quality of the book and reproduction is as good as it gets, and photographs are astounding (annoyingly good in many cases!).

It's a shame about the reflections in the photos (near the spine of the book) in the article.

J72 06 Dec 2023
In reply to Cog:

I thought it gave you a clear view that this is an image of the actual book in the flesh (so to speak) rather than a digital image that doesn’t show you the quality of the print/format

Robert Durran 06 Dec 2023

Ooh! Looks fabulous. My photographic hero. Request sent to Santa🙂. 

Post edited at 16:22
 galpinos 07 Dec 2023
In reply to Alex Nail:

It did indeed turn up today! My only complaint is that I'm working from home and it looks amazing so I am struggling to concentrate on my work. I want to do it justice so shall set aside an hour, at least, this evening to sit down and have a proper "read".

It's a stunning and unique book to a stunning and unique area, well done Alex! Review coming soon

Paul Evans 08 Dec 2023

Ordered mine, eagerly awaiting arrival. Travelled through the area on the CWT earlier this year, so will bring back memories!

Paul

McHeath 08 Dec 2023
In reply to Alex Nail:

Congratulations on the baby, I hope you’re both getting some sleep! And the book looks magnificent

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...