Uneven Rubber on New Shoes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 grectangle 24 Nov 2023

I bought a pair of Miura VSs back in October from my local climbing shop.  Paid full retail (ouch), but the service at the shop was great so can't complain.

I've used them for about 5 days since then, outdoors on steep sport climbs.  I don't climb indoors and trad is the main style locally, so these are for the exceptional days when I'm doing some bolt clipping.

I happened to notice a few days ago that the rubber under the toe on one boot is significantly thinner than the other.  Like less than half as thick.  Like this one will need resoling pretty soon while the other has tons of rubber left.  

My question is whether there are grounds to return the shoes, or do I just have to suck it up since I've used them and didn't notice in time?  I don't want to be that annoying niggly customer, but at the same time I've paid over 160 quid for these things and they're not right.

NaCl 25 Nov 2023
In reply to grectangle:

I noticed this on the last pair I bought. Didn't sound like it was as bad as the pair you describe but it was definitely noticeable. I didn't think of talking them back but sort of wish I had now

climberchristy 25 Nov 2023
In reply to grectangle:

Return them. They are clearly a faulty product, (assuming you haven't climbed abnormally heavily on one leg during those five days 😀)

OP grectangle 25 Nov 2023
In reply to climberchristy:

Thanks, it's kind of a weird one.  I can understand from the store's/manufacturer's perspective that since they've been used, there's no telling how I may have mistreated the shoes.  But from my own, I know that I want 4mm of bloody rubber on a new pair of shoes, not 1.5, and I know I haven't done anything abnormal!

I took them back to the store in the end, and the owner is going to speak to the LS rep about it, and thinks he'll offer me an exchange pair.  He said if not, the store would pay for a resole.

OP grectangle 25 Nov 2023
In reply to NaCl:

It's a bummer for sure.  I hate dealing with shoes, and getting a brand new pair I always think, well at least that's a good long while before messing about with resoles.

ATL 26 Nov 2023
In reply to grectangle:

Don’t get them resoled yet though!!!   I’ve used Miura vs for years - currently have 5 pairs on the go…. And the finishing of the sole around the toe has been a bit irregular recently. One pair the sole was not bevelled the right way, so I filed them into shape myself. Also noticed that the sole appears thinner on one compared to the other, but I think the sole is the same thickness - it’s just the way it appears at the toe. My logic is that the sole itself has to be the same …?

OP grectangle 26 Nov 2023
In reply to ATL:

I was not very keen when the suggestion to resole them came up.  I did wonder if it was an appearance thing as well, but I'm pretty sure it's a thickness thing.  So hopefully the LS guy offers a replacement pair.  Shame because I love the shoes, first time in them.  I've been using Instincts for a while, but went with the Miura's this time precisely because of the thicker rubber!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...