Night photography canon lens

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ablackett 18 Nov 2023

After a couple of trips out to try and photograph the Northern Lights, I want a new lens for my Canon DSLR, I’ve currently got a 50mm which is too narrow angle for night/landscape photography.

I’d like to spend under £200 if that’s possible? How does this one look?

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/product/rokinon-16mm-f-2-ed-as-umc-cs-canon-ef-s-...

Marek 18 Nov 2023
In reply to ablackett:

Which Canon body? This is an EF-S lens so not suitable for full-frame bodies. I have and use the Samyang 14mm f2.8 FF version which has some downsides (hysteresis in the focussing ring, but is optically excellent (once you learn to use it).

Graeme G 18 Nov 2023
In reply to ablackett:

Quick check suggests it’s a soft lens. I use a Sigma 16, but I’m on APS-C. Not sure if it would work for you.

Si Witcher 18 Nov 2023
In reply to ablackett:

Looks good. Manual focus should be fine for your purpose, and you won't be able to beat that price for a f2 prime in good/excellent used condition.

magma 18 Nov 2023
In reply to ablackett:

why not go wider eg there is a rokinon/samyang 12mm f2 (EF-M mount)

OP ablackett 18 Nov 2023
In reply to magma:

Would that be noticeably better?

OP ablackett 18 Nov 2023
In reply to Graeme G:

> Quick check suggests it’s a soft lens. I use a Sigma 16, but I’m on APS-C. Not sure if it would work for you.

Could you explain what you mean? Sorry, go easy on me. I’m fairly novice and my attention for reading up on soft lenses and APS-C is fairly limited.

Graeme G 18 Nov 2023
In reply to ablackett:

If you mean ‘soft’? -  this means the lens will not produce photos that are ‘sharp’ ie really clear and detailed.

If you mean APS-C? This my sensor size. I use an A6400. You may be using a full frame camera. If so, there are differences if you use lenses designed for APS-C.

Sorry. Not long explanation but hopefully this helps.

Graeme G 18 Nov 2023
In reply to ablackett:

1100d is an APS-C sensor. If you can, push the boat out and get either a Rokinin 12mm or Sigma 16mm.

The sigma is stunningly sharp. The Rokinon gets similar reviews.

Si Witcher 18 Nov 2023
In reply to ablackett:

soft and sharp are relative terms. The lens may be sharp enough for what you're looking for, and as sharp as other options at the same price point (check the reviews and prices for other used options). Generally lenses give less sharp images, especially at the edges of the image, when the aperture is fully open (f2 for your Rokinon) while letting in maximum light when shooting at night (i.e. for astro). Lenses give generally sharper images from corner-to-corner across the image when a smaller aperture is used e.g. closer to f5.6 or f8 (but then you'd have to use a longer exposure). If you pay top dollar for a pro lens then it will generally have a bigger maximum aperture and give sharper images when you use that maximum aperture.

Marek 18 Nov 2023
In reply to ablackett:

>  

> EOS1100d so it should be fine, right?

Yes.

Oh, and you do have a decent tripod, don't you?

jethro kiernan 18 Nov 2023
 magma 18 Nov 2023
In reply to ablackett:

> Would that be noticeably better?

i was thinking wider=longer exposures.

seems ef-s and ef-m have different flanges. i'd ditch your museum piece and get a more recent dslr body with more lens options

Post edited at 20:20
 Marek 18 Nov 2023
In reply to ablackett:

>  

> EOS1100d so it should be fine, right?

Yes.

Oh, and you do have a decent tripod, don't you?

Jon Read 18 Nov 2023
In reply to ablackett:

How are you going to focus the lens? Can your body + 50mm focus on stars already (a good sign), or can you zoom in sufficiently in live-view to manually focus?

Jon Read 18 Nov 2023
In reply to ablackett:

If you're happy to go manual, this would be a good choice https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/product/samyang-14mm-f2f28-ed-as-if-umc-ae-chip-c... 

Timy2 19 Nov 2023
In reply to ablackett:

Hi,

I use a Tokina 11-16mm F2.8 wide angle for nightscapes and landscapes on my canono 80D, works well.  Bought it second hand £220

GarethKelley 08 Dec 2023
In reply to ablackett:

I've had some reasonable success with Samyang glass.
I have a Canon EF fit 20mm f/1.8 (manual focus) and it's been great

Can pick this up for a little north of £200 on MPB usually.
https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/product/samyang-20mm-f-1-8-ed-as-if-umc-canon-ef-...

fotoVUE 08 Dec 2023
In reply to ablackett:

Could be useful

Milky Way Photography Setups For Different Budgets

youtube.com/watch?v=ShBh8GSaHdM&

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...