Weather sealed lens for Canon EOS RP?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rich W Parker 17 Nov 2023

I've been researching and trawling through stuff online but feel I'm now going round in circles - none the wiser. Advice appreciated!

The EOS RP is a weather sealed body but the kit lens it came with ( RF 21-105 STM) is not. I'm worried this will be an issue given I want to shoot in damp conditions. I could get the USM version second hand and it wouldn't break the bank but still looking at ther better part of a grand. I might have to accept this.

Is there something else that will work with the full frame body? Thoughts welcome.

Thanks.

jethro kiernan 17 Nov 2023
In reply to Rich W Parker:

Have you thought of using an adapter with a second hand pro lens?

I use an adapter with my Nikon mirrorless so i can use my older lenses In fact i might be swapping a mirrorless lens for an older non mirrorless lens.

I haven't noticed any problems with autofocus and there is no optical problem because its just a glorified spacer.

MPB will probably have something 

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/product/canon-ef-24-105mm-f-4-l-is-ii-usm/sku-221...

Post edited at 17:08
 jethro kiernan 17 Nov 2023

Sorry Didn't recognise the USM bit, not familiar with the Canon stuff 😏

wintertree 17 Nov 2023

If you look at the kit lens as potentially disposable, it just might surprise you with what it takes if you’re a little bit careful.

An EF 24-105 f/4 L IS USM with a decent third party adapter will come in at under £500 and the EF L lenses are  as good as they ever were.

OP Rich W Parker 18 Nov 2023
In reply to jethro kiernan:

Thanks Jethro, USM focus is a bit noisier than STM apparently, I’m doing footage mostly. It’s that, and the cost, that’s giving me pause for thought. It seems simple enough to use an adapter but I’m having trouble finding a lens that fits the bill and doesn’t crop the frame, from Canon anyway. What do you think about mixing manufacturers, eg Sigma, Tamron?

In reply to wintertree:

Thanks, I wondered if someone might suggest this. It’s that or get a few quid for the kit lens in a trade. 

wintertree 18 Nov 2023

I missed a key word from my post - a used EF 24-105 f/4 L IS USM.   

When I've had a professional photographer in to work, they've been using a new R series body but most of their lenses are still EF.  

Post edited at 09:44
 65 18 Nov 2023

Yes, the RF24-105L f4 version would be the best option though as you say it would be the thick end of 1k. I have one, as a single take-everywhere hill lens it’s fantastic but not that small or light and I think some might find it a poor balance on a light body like the RP.

I’d suggest the EF24-70Lf4 IS and an adapter but adapters are often like hens teeth and 2ndhand ones go for daft money. There’s also the sublime EF16-35L f4 but again you’d need an adapter.

Re Sigma & Tamron, Sigma lenses are optically superb and many studio professionals use the Art series primes, but afaik they aren’t weather sealed. I’ve no experience of Tamron but a friend swears by his 150-600 for birds. 

Post edited at 10:33
In reply to 65:

Cheers for that. Another though I have is if I use an adapter does that compromise the weather seal?

65 18 Nov 2023

Yes, they are. If you go the adapter route my recommendation (against all other’s) would be the basic one. I got the control ring one so I could assign aperture to it and that’s about the only function it doesn’t do which for me is annoying. I figure the camera has more than enough knobs and dials that I may as well save bulk and cash and get the basic one, though last time I looked noone had any and they were selling 2ndhand for about 30% over their new price.

jethro kiernan 18 Nov 2023

The Nikon adapter is weather sealed, not sure about canon Ive certainly had no problem and I’ve worked in some pretty terrible weather for extended periods.

The Sigma Art lenses have a good reputation for image but I’m not so sure about weather proofing they are also pretty chunky and heavy.

id be tempted by the 24-105 ef or bite the bullet and go with the RF equivalent and see it as a long term investment in glass.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...