10 km ish walk from Ambleside

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mike123 28 Oct 2023

Despite spending a fair amount of time cragging in the south lakes over the years I haven’t really done much walking that wasn’t to and from crags . Ideally starting in Ambleside , up something wainwrighty . Ideas please .

Post edited at 09:48
 wercat 28 Oct 2023
In reply to mike123:

Wansfell?

nice view over to the Troutbeck valley and the bottom of the High Street range

Post edited at 09:49
 steveriley 28 Oct 2023
In reply to mike123:

Loughrigg plus caves for a gentler day, Fairfield horseshoe for a classic day out slightly longer than requested!

plyometrics 28 Oct 2023
In reply to mike123:

Up Wansfell, on to Baystones, down The Hundreds to Robin Lane above Jenkin Crag and back in to town. Pretty much bang on 10km. Nice route. 

Lankyman 28 Oct 2023
In reply to mike123:

As recommended by wercat Wansfell is the obvious one. You can make a nice circuit going out through Skelghyll Woods towards Troutbeck and coming back over the top - various options available via tracks and CRoW land. Stockghyll Force is worth a look after all the rain. Up Scandale and over Red Screes is a chunkier proposition as is bagging Little Hart Crag (good views down the other side into Dovedale and Patterdale) and returning over High and Low Pikes.

Mark Eddy 28 Oct 2023
In reply to mike123:

Spoilt for choice. All great suggestions so far. I wrote a few blog posts about walks from Ambleside, each gives a taste of what's on offer. Here's one: https://www.mountain-journeys.co.uk/5-best-walks-in-ambleside/

Godwin 28 Oct 2023
In reply to mike123:

With bus fares capped at £2, a linear walk could be an option. Possibly from Windermere over Orrest and Wansfell or from Dunmail and take in Fairfield, depending on how stiff a walk you fancy.

OP mike123 29 Oct 2023
In reply to Godwin: great idea . Thanks for all suggestions . I do like the idea of getting the bus to Dunmail and walking back .

In reply to mike123:

You could also get a bus up Langdale and walk back.

The 516 bus goes to the Old Dungeon Ghyll Hotel.

Post edited at 09:05

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...