Can anyone recommend a decent, recent Hornli Ridge guidebook

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alpsman 26 Oct 2023

Need to purchase a loved one a guide book for the ridge route as a gift.

I have never bought one myself for this route, and surprisingly I’m not finding much.

Appreciate any thoughts.

mcawle 26 Oct 2023
In reply to Alpsman:

Not sure there really is such a thing. In English you have three 4000m peaks of the alps books, and I think that’s about it. Don’t know if there are any guide books really dedicated to a single route or even mountain really.

Doug 26 Oct 2023
In reply to mcawle:

there's a guide book for the north face of the Grandes Jorrassses but never seen a guidebook for a single route. But there must several books about the Matterhorn, although maybe not in English

Mark Haward 26 Oct 2023
In reply to Alpsman:

The Romelli / Ciridini guide '4,000 m peaks of the Alps' is the most recent / detailed of the guides available in English I am aware of.

In reply to Alpsman:

Is the ‘Valais Alps West’ Alpine Club guide by Lindsay Griffin (1998) no longer in print? Has 24 pages on the Matterhorn, and 3½ pages devoted to the Hornli alone. Plus two good photodiagrams.

PS. Just looked it up on the internet. Unfortunately it doesn’t seem to be available anywhere.

Would I get myself in trouble if I scanned the Hornli pages and sent it to you?

Post edited at 11:02
In reply to Alpsman:

I have now scanned the relevant pages. I think it would be wrong to put it on line, but I will send it to you if you give me your email address, on the strict understanding that it is for your use only, and not to be given/sold to anyone else. I know Lindsay Griffin, so I don’t think he’d mind if it’s done in this way.

John Kelly 26 Oct 2023
In reply to Alpsman:

Matterhorn by Robert Bosch, amazing pics but brush up on your German

Doug 26 Oct 2023
In reply to John Kelly:

here's a few published in French

https://www.amazon.fr/cervin-Livres/s?k=cervin&rh=n%3A301061

didn't know that Gaston Rébuffat had published a book about the Matterhorn

Rob Parsons 26 Oct 2023
In reply to Alpsman:

> Need to purchase a loved one a guide book for the ridge route as a gift.

> I have never bought one myself for this route, and surprisingly I’m not finding much.

The Swiss Alpine Club must have such a guidebook. It will be in German, though.

As mentioned above, the Alpine Club here appear to have completely given up on printed regional guidebooks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...