Stanage weather

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sclly 24 Oct 2023

Hi all,

Just wondering what the weather conditions are like at the moment up at Stanage? Wondering whether it’s worth a 3hr drive tomorrow morning to try grab a climb.

Not climbing anything above a VS if that makes any difference. A mate mentioned Wind gather before not been there so unsure of conditions again.

any advice would be great.

Thanks

simon 

Edit: I’ve checked weather forecast most of the afternoon and it says it’s slashing it down this evening.

Post edited at 17:25
 Cake 24 Oct 2023
In reply to sclly:

> Edit: I’ve checked weather forecast most of the afternoon and it says it’s slashing it down this evening.

Does it?

It looks to me like it has rained at Stanage today but that it is clearer this evening, and tomorrow is going to be dry. A problem, though, is that there is not much wind to dry things off. Looking at where it has rained today, I think South and West had been loads better, so Black Rocks and Roaches should be fine. Both excellent VS venues.

Black Rocks

Roaches Lower Tier

Roaches Upper Tier

Offwidth 24 Oct 2023
In reply to Cake:

Roaches weather forecast looks less windy and  sunny so slower to dry and the west face of Black Rocks wouldn't be anywhere near the top of my list of recommendations for the OP's spec.

Stanage looks OK, if pretty cold:

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/forecast/gcqzd69kf#?date=2023-10-25

I'd recommend a quicker drying warmer place on the Eastern edges like Froggatt, Rivellin or Wharncliffe.

Post edited at 17:50
 PaulJepson 24 Oct 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

Birch tree wall was decent on Sunday but theres only 3 VS routes there. The rest faces the wrong way and was gopping. 

Curbar might be okay as that's pretty exposed but it's still raining in sheffield as I write this. The grit will likely be saturated (and sandy and weak) everywhere tomorrow.

Where are you coming from? There may be  better options than peak grit...

PaulJepson 24 Oct 2023
In reply to sclly:

Also, depending on what grade you climb ('nothing above VS' could mean vdifs or it could mean you're steady on 4c), you may want to replace Windgather with  Castle Naze. If you're looking at getting on VS then there are some fantastic ones there.

hang_about 24 Oct 2023
In reply to sclly:

Murky and damp in west Sheffield. Can't think there will be much drying by tomorrow.

Tom Guitarist 24 Oct 2023
In reply to sclly:

If Stanage is a 3hr drive, then Wingather must be a similarly long journey. I'm not sure that I'd be driving that far to climb there.

Offwidth 25 Oct 2023
In reply to hang_about:

It's autumn, not winter, forecasts are early morning mist (which impacts valleys most) then sun with a gentle WNW breeze, then partly clouding over. Stanage looks fine if you can cope with cool conditions.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/forecast/gcqzd69kf#?date=2023-10-25

Offwidth 25 Oct 2023
In reply to PaulJepson:

None of the 8 west facing VS climbs are great for someone with a VS limit and some of the sub VS climbs are maybe almost as bad

In reply to sclly:

It was very wet when I drove past this morning.  Its not raining and currently sunny though so if it doesn't rain and this mist burns off you might be OK later on but I wouldn't do a 3hr drive for it.

joeruckus 25 Oct 2023
In reply to sclly:

Looks fine, High Neb end is dry, it's in the sun already (the mist is lying lower), get on it, the friction will be perfect in these temps, have a great day.

In reply to sclly:

What did you do in the end? There were plenty of people climbing up at stanage when I passed by on the way home from work but there were also plenty of wet looking bits still even in the sun.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...