Marketing coincidence

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ThunderCat 12 Oct 2023

I have the occasional dream where I look down and find a half finished ciggie in my hand. It always wakes me up angry that I've gone back to smoking again, before I remember it's just a dream.

Happened again last night. 

I've just happened to check on Amazon to see where a package is, and the first suggested item in the advert feed is for nicotine patches. 

Get out of my dreams, Bezos. 

lorentz 12 Oct 2023

In reply to: ThunderCat 

I had the same occasional recurring dream (and same disappointed reaction to myself) for years after I had given up smoking.... always looked at it as a way of my subconscious confirming to itself my hard won non-smoker status. 

Lankyman 12 Oct 2023
In reply to ThunderCat:

Was there an evil black presence standing at the side of your bed? You should send this in to Danny Robins c/o 'Uncanny' at the BBC

Bottom Clinger 12 Oct 2023
In reply to ThunderCat:

I used to have recurring dreams (bad ones really) that I’d just failed my degree (in Sunderland - lived there for 3 years) and that I was a useless waster. I’d wake up sad and panicky. Happened for years, and well after I got a proper job (outdoor instructor).  Shows the impact some things can have. 

OP ThunderCat 12 Oct 2023
In reply to lorentz:

> ThunderCat 

> I had the same occasional recurring dream (and same disappointed reaction to myself) for years after I had given up smoking.... always looked at it as a way of my subconscious confirming to itself my hard won non-smoker status. 

My initial reaction is more along the lines of "oh ffs you stupid xxxx". 😂

In reply to Lankyman:

> Was there an evil black presence standing at the side of your bed? You should send this in to Danny Robins c/o 'Uncanny' at the BBC

There's a teeny bit of mildew.... Does that count? 

In reply to Bottom Clinger:

> I used to have recurring dreams (bad ones really) that I’d just failed my degree (in Sunderland - lived there for 3 years) and that I was a useless waster. I’d wake up sad and panicky. Happened for years, and well after I got a proper job (outdoor instructor).  Shows the impact some things can have. 

Beat you. I spent 20 years in Sunderland as a useless waster 😂

yorkshireman 12 Oct 2023
In reply to ThunderCat:

Sounds like they've updated the software that people used to think was listening to their conversations via their phone (it really wasn't happening) to cover our subconscious thoughts now!

Bottom Clinger 12 Oct 2023
In reply to ThunderCat:

What I lack in years, I make up for in quality  

In my three years, I never got past year 2 of the degree.  I did know the staff behind the bar of The Salem quite well, who would pull me a pint as soon as I walked in, and was on speaking terms with some of the Hells Angels.  And I knew every hold of the OAA wall, which is where I’m sure I was told all my lectures would be held. Happy daze!  

Ciro 12 Oct 2023
In reply to ThunderCat:

I still sometimes get dreams where I'm trying to give up smoking, and it must be at least 15 years since I finally quit.

I've had them recently, probably been triggered by the discussions around Sunak's plans for raising the age limit.

Tringa 12 Oct 2023
In reply to ThunderCat:

Sorry TC but, you(and the rest of us) must know Jeff's mantra - "Resistance is futile"

Dave

Dax H 12 Oct 2023
In reply to ThunderCat:

They say the algorithms know us better than we know ourselves, this certainly helps prove that.

FactorXXX 12 Oct 2023
In reply to ThunderCat:

> I have the occasional dream where I look down and find a half finished ciggie in my hand. It always wakes me up angry that I've gone back to smoking again, before I remember it's just a dream.

Nice though

jiminy483 12 Oct 2023
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

> What I lack in years, I make up for in quality  

> In my three years, I never got past year 2 of the degree.  I did know the staff behind the bar of The Salem quite well, who would pull me a pint as soon as I walked in, and was on speaking terms with some of the Hells Angels.  And I knew every hold of the OAA wall, which is where I’m sure I was told all my lectures would be held. Happy daze!  

I first went to uni in 2005, dropped out in second year due to boredom. Went back in 2009 passed my foundation year then dropped out half way through first year due to stress. Repeated first year then dropped out again after failing maths. 5 years and I made it to second year once. I owe the SLC so much money   

jiminy483 12 Oct 2023
In reply to ThunderCat:

I started smoking when I was very young and never stopped. Can't recall ever smoking in a dream though.

freeflyer 13 Oct 2023
In reply to ThunderCat:

I used to have a recurring nightmare that I was clinging onto a cliff and would eventually fall off which was the end of the dream. One night in a more lucid moment (?!), I decided to jump off. I discovered I could sort of fly in my dream - wow, and in fact gravity in my dreams is about what you'd expect on the moon. I now have occasional dreams where I am parcouring in stairwells and the like, and just floating gently down, etc. It's very cool.

No connection with real life though, other than soloing halfway up a cliff at Brixham age about 8 and fortunately managing to retreat before anything bad happened or any adult saw me.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...