Are my boots overkill for the Skye trail?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 joepowellll 04 Oct 2023

I’m off to the Skye trail next month and sadly my waterproof boots have finally died just before. The only other pair I have are some Salewa Rapace that I love, but haven’t worn for much other than big scrambling days (they’re flexy b1/1.5). Budget is an issue so I’d prefer not to have to purchase another pair right now. Can I comfortably get away with the stiffer boots (I’ll have a heavy pack for wild camping if that changes anything!) or will I be crying by the end of my trip?

Lankyman 04 Oct 2023
In reply to joepowellll:

Could your budget stretch to a cheap pair of Mountain Warehouse fabric boots? I wear them all the time and save my expensive Scarpas for tougher ground. I get emails from them (and Millets) constantly with sales/offers/no postage deals etc. Skye Trail in November? Hmmm ...

In reply to joepowellll:

It could be cold and it will almost certainly be wet underfoot if not in the sky, so winter boots may not be overkill in that sense. For decades people did big walks in clumpy leather boots, and enjoyed themselves. I guess they're heavier and stiffer than you might ideally prefer for long days of walking, but on the upside the stiffer sole will give good support on rough ground and with a heavy pack on you might appreciate that.

The big thing that trumps everything else is fit and comfort. Do you think you can wear them for long days of walking back to back, without issues? The fact that you love them suggests they're probably a good fit, but feet do spread over a long day (potential squeezing round the toes) , and soften if they're too warm for too long (blisters). The best idea would be to wear them on a couple of proper meaty trial days, if you can get out in the next few weeks.

OP joepowellll 04 Oct 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

Oops it’s already October! I’m going this month.

Thank you for your reply.

In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

This is very helpful, thank you!

I did attempt a 25 km stomp in them recently and I was able to run the day after which is probably a good sign .

In reply to joepowellll:

Oh well I think you're probably sorted then!

Here's a Skye Trail article by way of inspiration (sorry, can't guarantee you'll get blue skies as per some of the pics):

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/articles/destinations/the_skye_trail_-_walkin...

In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Thank you! And yes, I think we can expect to do the whole thing in rain!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...