Yosemite without a tent reservation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 petre 04 Oct 2023

I am going to Yosemite next week and haven't been able to secure any camping options in the park. Anybody got any good ideas on what to do whether to camp outside if there are any options and drive in every day or look at Curry Village tents which seem expensive or try joining the queue for the walk in sites? Not been before so it all looks a bit confusing. 

Thanks in anticipation 

In reply to petre:

When I was there we slept in a vehicle in the layby just outside the national park signs and then drove in every day. Not as sociable as staying at camp 4 though.

Alex Riley 04 Oct 2023
In reply to pancakeandchips:

It looked like you can turn up at camp 4 without a reservation for first come first serve spots when I checked the other day. When you queue just say how long you want to stay for, the rangers are generally pretty accommodating.

You can stay at backpackers the night before and and after a bigwall using a big wall (easy to get) or wilderness permit (harder to get), but it's a similar price to camp 4 and a bit faffier (but a good option of nothing else works).

Post edited at 07:45
OP petre 04 Oct 2023

Thanks for that! Roughly how far was the drive in?

In reply to petre:

Half an hour or so I think? It was 2016 though so it's getting a bit hazy...

seankenny 04 Oct 2023
In reply to petre:

> Thanks for that! Roughly how far was the drive in?

I stayed at the campsite outside the park in El Portal. It’s not very nice but it’s not an unhygienic dump like Camp Four. The drive into the Valley is fine except on weekends, get up very early or it will be an utter nightmare. 

I don’t think there are really any particularly good accommodation options for Yosemite unfortunately.

hang_about 04 Oct 2023
In reply to petre:

Consider the East side (Lee Vining) if going to Tuolome. A much more mellow side of the park

Rick Graham 04 Oct 2023

> Half an hour or so I think? It was 2016 though so it's getting a bit hazy...

Close. 34 minutes according to google maps. 

Bored, in a queue atm.

Rick Graham 04 Oct 2023
In reply to hang_about:

It maybe a hangover from my snells field upbringing but staying at camp 4 is an essential part of the yosemite experience imho.

Maybe try to stay there at least part of your trip.

OP petre 04 Oct 2023
In reply to seankenny:

Thanks Sean. Is it feasible to travel into the Park everyday as I am struggling to get a camp site in the valley 

OP petre 04 Oct 2023
In reply to Rick Graham:

Ah ! I remember the delights of Snell's Field in the 80's!!!!

seankenny 04 Oct 2023
In reply to petre:

> Thanks Sean. Is it feasible to travel into the Park everyday as I am struggling to get a camp site in the valley 

Yes it’s fine. It’s maybe half an hour and driving through Yosemite Valley never gets old. It’s a pain before/after doing a long route though. Just be careful on Saturday morning but it might be less crowded in October.

I think Rick is sort of right about Camp Four being an essential part of the Yosemite experience but it’s also bloody awful. 

Alex Riley 04 Oct 2023
In reply to seankenny:

The new sides a bit less grotty, the toilets over that side were clean and fine, the showers were hot but sometimes a bit dirty. I was ill the entire time I was there though...

pencilled in 04 Oct 2023
In reply to petre:

Some of the other valley camp sites may have spots that mysteriously open up when you check in person with the ranger station place near Curry Village. White Wolf was my favourite but it’s a way up the road to Tuolomne. North Pines was pretty nice, they are all ok and I don’t recall Camp 4 being particularly any worse than the vicars field in Bosherston. There’s always Midnight Lightning….

OP petre 04 Oct 2023
In reply to pencilled in:

Thanks. Having not been before I am finding it hard to get a site booked and didn't fancy having to drive into the Park everyday.

pencilled in 04 Oct 2023
In reply to petre:

My advice would be to make a beeline for the booking place, which if I recall correctly is like a large shed at the end of a carpark. 
If you chat up the person nicely and explain what you’re looking for, this time of year I’m almost certain they will sort you out. 
I would say this however; like Sean said, there is never a more pleasant drive and walk-in than  a trip along the valley. 
Even White Wolf had its charm; we saw Coyote along that road and loads of bears. And Tuolomne has got to be worth a trip, surely? 

Post edited at 18:53
 David Coley 08 Oct 2023
In reply to petre:

PM me

Gerry 08 Oct 2023
In reply to pencilled in:

I thought it was a bit late season for Tuolumne, so did a quick check. Yup, the campground is closed. Even worse, it's closed until 2025! Refurbishment is the plan and I guess this can only be done in the summer, when the snow's gone, so closed all next year. https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tmcamp.htm

pencilled in 08 Oct 2023
In reply to Gerry:

Doh

Adam Hill 09 Oct 2023
In reply to petre:

What are you plans while there? If to climb which areas, the valley, Tuolumne? If the latter then plenty of camping options just outside the park down the Tioga Pass with a pleasant short drive in each morning. I've stayed the last couple of years in Lower Lee Vining Campground, $14 a night, less than 20 min drive into the park.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...