Recommend me a Breathable Waterproof Running Jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 R_Shents 19 Sep 2023

I'm after a new waterproof running jacket & I'm aware I might be asking for the holy grail here, but does anyone have a recommendation of a lightweight, waterproof yet breathable running jacket? 

I've had waterproof jackets in the past that are are apparently breathable and are great when standing still, but feel like being inside a bin bag once you get moving. Ideally I am after a jacket that feels and breathes like a softshell, but that also satisfys the FRA mandatory kit of fully waterproof, taped seams, blah blah blah...

Any recommendations or jackets to avoid would be appreciated. 

Cheers! 

Dave Todd 19 Sep 2023
In reply to R_Shents:

The only waterproof jacket that I've had which felt genuinely waterproof and breathable was a Berghaus Gore Tex Paclite smock - loved it to death.

I'm mostly using a Montane Minimus Jacket these days - it's been pretty good but feels a tad less breathable than the Paclite.

mik82 19 Sep 2023
In reply to R_Shents:

Have you tried a Rab Kinetic Ultra? I've got the Kinetic Alpine which feels like a waterproof softshell, and the Ultra is apparently similar but for running. 

tomsan91 19 Sep 2023
In reply to R_Shents:

Picked up a very lightly used OMM Kamleika smock and a pair of the trousers, they have been made out of a softshell like fabric. reasonably waterproof and breathable but still feels hot in anything over 15oc to me. Went for these over some other stuff on FB marketplace because they make very little noise while running and they are nice and bright. Some good deals out there on new Inov-8 kit at the moment, but couldn't stretch to £90 for another jacket.

elliot.baker 19 Sep 2023
In reply to R_Shents:

Mountain Equipment Firefly jacket. I bought it last year to run the Welsh 3000s and it was amazing, and it's come down in cost significantly since then.

Quite stripped back but 3-layer gore-tex apparently. Great fit for me, weighs very little but still more substantial than the tissue paper thin ones.

ste_d 19 Sep 2023
In reply to R_Shents:

I'd second the Rab kinetic suggestion, proflex is the most breathable thing I've come across

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...