Protecting Hardback Books

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rob Exile Ward 12 Sep 2023

I've got a reasonable collection of hardback books, mostly climbing (obv!) and the dust sheets are becoming a bit tatty over time. I'd like to protect them with those clear plastic sleeves, but as every book is a different size I'm not sure how to go about it - a cursory search online seems the majority of suppliers are geared up to supply industrial quantities to schools and libraries. Does anyone have any personal recommendations about what to use and which supplier they recommend?

Pedro50 12 Sep 2023
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

Brodart, available only on Amazon but very good. Available in 8,10,12 and 14 inch.

Rob Parsons 12 Sep 2023

I just bought a roll of (non-adhesive) clear plastic, and cut and fold it to suit. That seems to be what booksellers also do.

Can't remember what the plastic I bought was called, or from where I bought it - but it wasn't expensive, and it's worked. An art shop should be able to help I'd guess.

Post edited at 10:30
 Bob Aitken 12 Sep 2023

At the risk of promoting a single product, you might like to have a look at https://mudskipperpress.com/2020/12/06/a-love-affair-with-adaptaroll/

As Rob Parsons says, you can trim this kind of protective cover ("other brands are available") to fit your book.  From experience it can be a bit of a faff at first if you're keen to get an elegant snug fit - I tend to 'save up' books in small batches for covering to get back into practice.   Does a great job of conserving dust jackets, and helps to protect book spines and cover edges.  Worth the effort.

In reply to Bob Aitken:

On one web site they list about 20 steps to fitting the stuff! Am I correct in thinking if I buy the largest size I need, I will be able to trim it for smaller books?

Bob Aitken 12 Sep 2023

That's the idea Rob.  Some suppliers provide different sizes, but if buy a roll of the largest size you'll need, you just trim back the inside paper liner and fold over the plastic.  I can believe it would take about 20 steps to describe exactly how to do it, though it's not complicated in practice, just slightly fiddly.  Which is why I tend to clear the table and do a batch of books at one go so that I get into the groove and produce optimal snug-fitting results.  It is satisfying to get your cherished books safely inside a neat, glossy, durable cover.  And if you're so inclined (I didn't live in Aberdeen for 5 years for nothing ...) it protects or even enhances the resale value of your books when you or your executors want to sell them off.

Post edited at 15:05
 Toerag 13 Sep 2023

We used to cover our textbooks at school with wallpaper . Not pasted on, just folded around the edges and taped.

In reply to Toerag:

We did the same, sometimes using brown paper. It was something we did at the start of each term. I remember recovering an ancient copy of a French textbook by Whitmarsh that I later discovered had instructed me to speak formal Victorian French rather than anything useful. Although I suppose learning to cover books was useful. 

In reply to Toerag:

I'm not doing that to my mint copy of Extreme Rock!

Toerag 13 Sep 2023

You tape the wallpaper to itself, not the book - in effect making a custom sleeve for it.

I use KPC Book Protection Ltd website.

I bought a roll of the 24cm protector which you can trim for smaller books. The 24cm covers most average hardback sizes

In reply to Allanfairfechan:

Thanks for all the answers folks, that's a job for the long winter evenings...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...