Big Agnes tents

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mowglee 07 Sep 2023

I'm after a lightweight two person tent for bikepacking and climbing trips to remote crags, and ideally one which will keep the rain out and won't fall over at the slightest breath of wind. I realise there will be compromises to be made! I have an Alpkit Ordos 2 at the moment and it's light and waterproof, but flaps about and collapses in the wind. 

The BA Tiger Wall UL2 bikepacking version looks good, but I'm slightly wary of an American tent, as I'm not sure how well suited they are to typical British conditions.  Lots of nice dry deserts in the US. Does anyone have any real world experience of this brand, specifically regarding sturdiness in wind, and resistance to rain?

Cheers!

IainL 07 Sep 2023
In reply to Mowglee:

BA Copper Spur stood up to 10 Hours overnight thunderstorm with huge gusts in Maine. Watched the water flow under the groundsheet but no leakage. Slightly damp from very high humidity. Folk in cabins wanted us to move in but we stayed put and stayed dry. We used a building waterproof membrane as a footprint. We do this for all our tents.

Run_Ross_Run 08 Sep 2023
In reply to Mowglee:

I've got a copper spur bikepacking version and it's a solid tent. Not tested in heavy rain but it withstood a night of gales in Barmouth that saw caravan awnings flatterned and complete chaos on the campsite  the following morning.  

willpitt07 08 Sep 2023
In reply to Mowglee:

Have a Tiger Wall UL3 and have had close to 100 nights in it. I have managed to break two zips, one on the inner and one on the fly. You could put it down to user error but they don't seem the most robust in my experience. I haven't had any problems regarding sturdiness in wind and rain (have been in some pretty heavy thunderstorms) but I got a small tear in the fly from hail this summer. 

TobyA 08 Sep 2023
In reply to Mowglee:

I've nearly finished a review of the MSR Freelite 2, I've used it a fair amount for bikepacking as well as backpacking/climbing trips.

It looks very similar in overall design to the tent you're interested in. I'm sure there are some differences, but the frame shape is the same and they're about the same size. The freelite is weatherproof and stands up ok in the wind but isn't perfect as it has some aspects that can catch gusts particularly when the wind swings to a sidewind. The review should be out soon - so it might help you a bit with your decision. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...