Ice climbing in Canada: synthetic vs down belay jacket?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ed_edwards14 31 Aug 2023

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has any experience-based advice on the best type of belay jackets for winter climbing in Canada. I've done a bit of Scottish and Alpine winter stuff and definitely wouldn't wear down in Scotland, and found down so much better for the Alps. So I'm wondering if there's a similar situation with winter climbing in Canada

TIA 

Synthetic vs down jacket for ice climbing in Canada

Down
Synthetic
Login to vote
 George Ormerod 31 Aug 2023
In reply to ed_edwards14:

Where in Canada?  If it's something ephemeral in coastal BC or the Island, then a wet suit, but down all the way for the Rockies, Quebec or northern Ontario.

OP ed_edwards14 02 Sep 2023
In reply to George Ormerod:

Thanks George, I'm going to be in and around Canmore so I think down

Wee Davie 02 Sep 2023

It can be bitterly cold in that area. I was wearing standard Scottish Winter layers on a snowboarding holiday and was uncomfortably cold particularly on chairlifts. Down all the way. 

George Ormerod 03 Sep 2023

Apologies if you know all of this, but:

I don't know if you have a copy of JoJo's guidebook, but there is a link to it here:

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/55dfae5be4b00defe6dcabf4/t/61a7b0289...

It's worth getting the Ice Climbing in Western Canada app, which costs about $40 CAD, but has all the routes from the ice climbing guide as well as Sean Issacs mixed and new routes.  A lot of the routes have GPS routes / locations, which is very handy (on one occasion I failed to find one of the most popular top roping crags after wandering around in the dark in waist deep snow).

Have fun, it's an amazing area.

Post edited at 00:15

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...