The Trinnacle, influencers and MRT

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 peppermill 30 Aug 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

All I can seem to think of when I see articles and reports along these lines is Norman from 'Fireman Sam'

Kryank 30 Aug 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

I love spending time on Saddleworth and the chew valley, but it does amaze me when you see groups of (usually young men) plodding along in shorts and t shirts with street trainers on. 
I was doing the Saddleworth 5 Trigs in Feb this year practicing some nav, and I was between Chew Res and Feather Bed Moss trig (quite a bleak and featureless place) when I had to help a group of 4 or 5 lads who didn’t know where they were, they were in no way dressed for the conditions (joggers trainers etc. ) but were in high spirits, I pointed them back in the direction of chew res. Stuff like that can easily get out of hand if they would have ended up wandering around the moor for a few hours. 
the folly of youth I suppose, and they can be oblivious to risk at that age. 

philipivan 30 Aug 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

The trinnacle is prime tiktok/ insta territory. I got in with a few walking groups trying to expand my outdoor circle of friends and so many people were aware of it due to social media. It's up there with the great ridges of mam tor and Mount snowdon. However the only time I've been there when mountain rescue was out was when I witnessed and helped attend to a boulderer that had fallen off and broken his ankle. 

I'm not sure what to take from this experience except that more people=more accidents. The local mr often do exercises there so at least on a weekend they are normally "close to the action". I kind of wish the outdoors would go back to being uncool again. 

mrphilipoldham 30 Aug 2023
In reply to philipivan:

A boulderer at the Ravenstones?! Blimey.

CantClimbTom 30 Aug 2023
In reply to philipivan:

> ... I kind of wish the outdoors would go back to being uncool again. 

I'd suggest a law was passed requiring orange (you know that very specific hue) of kagoule/kagjack, tartan thermos, Kendal mint cake and a 🤬 awful external frame rucksack or you're not allowed on the hills. But it'd probably become some kind of retro Insta craze and things would get worse

Bulls Crack 30 Aug 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

The lad was unlucky to fall 200' in the Chew

mrphilipoldham 30 Aug 2023
In reply to Bulls Crack:

50ft fall, four times over for the different angles for the TikTok edit.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...