Western Highlands early September

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AlanLittle 17 Aug 2023

I have a few days free in early September and am thinking of doing some hillwalking around the Tranter Round and/or Knoydart.

As an expat I haven't visited Scotland this century, so could do with some advice. I don't want to carry a tent, so I'm thinking of bivvying/bothies. 

If I bivvy high up - summits, ridges or highest water sources - am I likely to be relatively safe from midges?

How do bothies work? Just turn up and stroll in? How busy are the Grey Corries / Mamores ones likely to be midweek?

What's the deal with stalking in those areas? I've already emailed the Knoydart estate to ask.

And how bad are the ticks? I assume I'll need long trousers and permethrined socks, or lightweight gaiters.

Heike 17 Aug 2023
In reply to AlanLittle:

Bivvying should be fine, there might be some midges if it is still -even on top at this time of year, I would take a bivvy tent.

Bothies, yes just walk in and stay (and hope that there is not a stag party of 20 with a barrel of whisky going on

Stalking should not be a problem as long as you stay on the ridges and/ or suggested routes.

Ticks are bad if you are susceptible which me and my family are. I am not sure that gaiters etc make a difference. I would just use some anti bug spray, I use 'Smidge' which is a bit less toxic than DEET (to keep midges and ticks at bay) and carry tweezers to remove the little buggers if they should bite.

Have fun!

Post edited at 15:37
 ScraggyGoat 17 Aug 2023
In reply to AlanLittle:

Midgies will still be out, normally not a issue at height due to wind; but no guarantees.

Bothies; turn up walk in and accept that space is meant to be made for all who arrive.  Can’t tell you about mid week occupancy, most likely ok, but just depends.

Be aware both areas you have picked are popular and Knoydart bothies are on the CWT. 

Bothies have been massively promoted for personal vain glory (on social media) and profit (Bothy bible) since you emigrated.

Post edited at 15:48
 Mike-W-99 17 Aug 2023
In reply to AlanLittle:

There is a collated list of contacts and information here for stalking. https://www.outdooraccess-scotland.scot/practical-guide-all/deer-management...

lowersharpnose 17 Aug 2023
In reply to AlanLittle:

There is a private bothy at Barrisdale Bay.  Just turn up, there is a small charge, maybe £5 a night.  It had electricity last time I looked.

You could walk in from Kinloch Hourn ~ 4miles or get the ferry over from Mallaig to Inverie.

From there you can do Ladhair Beinn (Larven) one day then Meall Buidhe and Luinne Bheinn the next.

petestack 17 Aug 2023
In reply to lowersharpnose:

> You could walk in from Kinloch Hourn ~ 4miles

It's at least six.

OP AlanLittle 17 Aug 2023

Thanks. I‘ll be on the train so it’s Mallaig and Inverie for me.

lowersharpnose 17 Aug 2023
In reply to petestack:

Scottish 4.

petestack 17 Aug 2023

J72 20 Aug 2023
In reply to AlanLittle:

Worth looking at the Lanshan 1 tent - it’s about 1kg (the same as many bivvy bags) and is a trekking pole tent so no poles to carry (if you use walking poles). 

for ticks, lots of folk wisdom - I find only two actions to take - 1) where possible avoid large patches of bracken and 2) buy a tick tool (<£5) and wheech any out at night after tea.

Have a great trip and hope we get a few days of late summer…

OP AlanLittle 23 Aug 2023
In reply to AlanLittle:

Here's a follow up question now I've firmed up a bit on my travel plans. When I disembark from the Sleeper in Fort William, is there a standout place I should be heading to for breakfast? Does Fort William have a Pete's Eats (rip) / Longland's equivalent?

The Lochaber Café seems to get ok reviews and is conveniently at the railway station.

Dave Hewitt 23 Aug 2023
In reply to petestack:

> It's at least six.

And with quite a bit of up and down. I've found some timing notes from a June 2006 visit: it took me just over 2hr30 from the road-end to the bothy, with less than 10 minutes of that being stops. (The time from there to Meall Buidhe was about the same.)

timparkin 23 Aug 2023
In reply to AlanLittle:

Two recommended tick prevention techniques.. Use Permethrin on trousers, socks and gaiters. Use smidge elsewhere (everywhere you don't want ticks to bite - apply like suncream to exposed areas and don't forget your midriff area where ticks and midges can sneak in). Tucking trousers into socks when in long grass and bracket seems better than gaiters in my opinion (unless you have nice tight fitting gaiters)

Steve Woollard 24 Aug 2023
In reply to AlanLittle:

> Here's a follow up question now I've firmed up a bit on my travel plans. When I disembark from the Sleeper in Fort William, is there a standout place I should be heading to for breakfast? Does Fort William have a Pete's Eats (rip) / Longland's equivalent?

> The Lochaber Café seems to get ok reviews and is conveniently at the railway station.

The cafe in the station is good value, also Morrisons next door

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...