Women's World Cup (spoilers)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 climbingpixie 16 Aug 2023

What a match!! Best performance from England in this tournament so far, good to see them play so well after a run of scrappy wins. And to do it with a tough home crowd against them and knowing that Australia are the only team they've lost to in recent history. Toone and Kerr's goals were both magnificent, and that cross into Russo for the final goal was a joy to see. 

Kudos to the Matildas - I had no idea they were such a good team but they've played with such heart over the tournament. Definitely a team to watch and I look forward to seeing them in the next world cup.

Rob Parsons 17 Aug 2023
In reply to climbingpixie:

The Australian goal was a belter.

Pedro50 17 Aug 2023
In reply to Rob Parsons:

The three England goals were pretty good too.

Rob Parsons 17 Aug 2023
In reply to Pedro50:

England deserved the win. Their second goal was pretty soft, mind - just a defensive error from the Australians.

Post edited at 08:47
 slawrence1001 17 Aug 2023

Some really outstanding football from both sides, proper nail-biter

Babika 17 Aug 2023

It's looking really good isn't it? Sarina will be spoilt for choice on the starting line up Sunday. 

Ella Toone staked her place so it will be hard to justify a Lauren James return. She might be a powerful impact sub though. 

Chloe Kelly is my personal favourite - we'll need her if it comes to penalties after that thumper against Nigeria.

Very excited about Sunday morning - I've booked my space in the pub! 

Bottom Clinger 17 Aug 2023
In reply to Babika:

I reckon (hope) we won’t  see James play until after the World Cup - the stakes are too high to risk whether or not she’s learned from her petulance/mistake. 
And whilst I thoroughly hate penalties, Earps is brilliant. 

Post edited at 20:54
 RobAJones 17 Aug 2023
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

> I reckon (hope) we won’t  see James play until after the World Cup - the stakes are too high to risk whether or not she’s learned from her petulance/mistake. 

Tend to agree, one of the things that impressed me the most was the lack of English defensive mistakes. There was the odd misplaced pass, when isn't there, but their concentration and positional sense was exceptional. There is no point in playing with wing backs unless they are excellent, Bronze has always impressed me, but Daly effectively playing out of position has been nearly as accomplished. 

> And whilst I thoroughly hate penalties

Hopefully Sevilla losing on them is an example of Spanish fraility. 

Bottom Clinger 17 Aug 2023
In reply to RobAJones:

> Hopefully Sevilla losing on them is an example of Spanish fraility. 

You couldn’t help yourself, could you

Well done btw, both on the result and the shoe horn. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...