REVIEW: Boreal Flyers Mid

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 11 Aug 2023

Robust, supportive, and with a decent all-terrain tread, the mid-cut version of Boreal's technical approach shoe is built to last, says Rob Greenwood, and should be a good investment for anyone seeking a more substantial option for mountain use in particular.

Read more

SuperLee1985 12 Aug 2023
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

My experience has been quite the opposite, I bought a pair of the lower profile versions earlier in the year and despite having very little use, the rubber of the sole has started to delaminate from the upper on both the heel and the toe presenting a significant trip hazard. 

Would not recommend!

In reply to SuperLee1985:

> My experience has been quite the opposite, I bought a pair of the lower profile versions earlier in the year and despite having very little use, the rubber of the sole has started to delaminate from the upper on both the heel and the toe presenting a significant trip hazard. 

Did you send them back under warranty? That certainly doesn’t sound normal…

jon 13 Aug 2023
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

I have to have a 1cm thick insole in my right shoe and have always found regular trainers and approach shoes don't have enough volume for this, and become unstable and easy tip sideways. So I bought some Mid Flyers which obviously have lots of volume. Ignoring the volume advantage, they're tough, water resistant, comfy, and have a good grippy sole - which shows zero signs of delaminating. I'd agree, SuperLee's experience doesn't sound normal  

Post edited at 09:15

These a great approach shoes. I really like the high top as it offers way more ankle protection. 

My first pair did loads of scrambling and easy climbing, but were ready for the bin after 3 days climbing the Nose. 

If you are going to use them for that sort of thing it is worth adding a superfeet innersole or similar to increase support/comfort whilst standing in aiders. 

In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

> My first pair did loads of scrambling and easy climbing, but were ready for the bin after 3 days climbing the Nose. 

Sadly our budget didn't extend to an all expenses paid trip to Yosemite.

Big Walling really does destroy shoes (and pretty much everything) though doesn't it?! I had a pair of Scarpa Zen back when I did The Shield and by the time we reached the top they were held together with duct tape 😂

Ian M Leslie 14 Aug 2023

I had a pair of what I think were fliers, they were still new but had sat in the cupboard for a good few years. They felt excellent but alas on pretty much the first time I used them the rubber sole peeled away from the heel. I took them to a professional repairer but he was reluctant to repair them as he reckoned the same would happen again because the 'foam' the rubber is glued to just degrades. He was prepared to re-stick them for not much money so I had them done. It looked like a really good job but alas he was right, second time out the sole came away again even though the shoes still looked new.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...