Outdoor fabric - sourcing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Philip 01 Aug 2023

I want to make some storage items. One if an "envelope" to put my flat pack stove, the other a cutlery/utensil storage for my canoe barrel.

Any other gear makers on here care to share any sources or types of material. I'm not sure whether some strong nylon (like cordura) or canvas would be better.

Jwright 01 Aug 2023
In reply to Philip:

Hi, how much do you want? I’ve got 50 m of cordura in a variety of colours. Happy for you to have some. Drop me a message

Jwright 01 Aug 2023
In reply to Philip:

But an actual reply to your question: I mainly just get it off of Facebook. Started just buying a job lot of factory ends but (after about 7 pints) bought 50m of 1.5m wide roll in different colours. 
also have some dinosaur pvc type fabric tablecloth I keep meaning to make something out of. 
also have some thinner stuff (cordura and rip stop I think)

OP Philip 01 Aug 2023
In reply to Jwright:

I only need a metre to start with (that will make 3 I think). I mainly planning (at the age of 43) to learn to use the sewing machine my mum gave us (she has a fancier one). I'd like to be able to show / help my scouts make something useful one day (and be a non-female sewing machine role model to change some preconceptions).

I was going to use cordura - that's seems to be the kind of thing Alpkit use for cookset holder, but I wonder if it's too thin. My paintbrushes are stored in a thicker canvas material, so I wondered about that. But I've no idea on derniers and how thick is too thick to sew with a normal machine.

Doug 01 Aug 2023
In reply to Philip:

I've used Point North (https://www.profabrics.co.uk/ ) in the past for various 'outdoor' fabrics.

OP Philip 02 Aug 2023
In reply to Jwright:

Thanks for the offer, I bought some canvas material to experiment with.

Thanks Doug, I used that site.

laughitup 02 Aug 2023
In reply to Philip:

Point North is the best in the UK currently, IMO. 

Contact Left is great for buckles and other hardware.

I always get jealous of the options in the US and Europe like rip stop by the roll 

OP Philip 02 Aug 2023
In reply to laughitup:

Good to hear. I got some of this:
https://www.profabrics.co.uk/collections/outdoor-fabric-cottons-naturals-ca...

to make the envelopes for my stove. Should arrive tomorrow. Then it's sewing machine lessons from my mum.

Pina 02 Aug 2023
In reply to Philip:

Just be mindful of the needle thickness for the fabric. 

I started over COVID and have enjoyed it much more than I thought I would! Handy being about to repair outdoor clothing!

yeti 03 Aug 2023
In reply to Philip:

As Pina said you will need a larger than normal needle to go with the larger thread,

you will probably get away with a size 100 needle if there aren't any big seams to cross

otherwise maybe a 110 (metric sizing 100 = 1 mm) (100 = 16 and 110 = 18  in pre decimal sizing)

i'd reccommend a size 60 bonded nylon thread as being strong enough but 

also thin enough to sew with a domestic machine, 

i hope your project leads on to more : )

OP Philip 03 Aug 2023
In reply to yeti:

That's the thread I ordered. The advantage I have is a mum with 60+ years of dress making experience to teach me how to use the machine 😀

yeti 03 Aug 2023
In reply to Philip:

awesome : )

cheale 04 Aug 2023
In reply to Philip:

Sounds like a great aim to have all round. My wife, who's an excellent sewer, bought me the book "Heavy-duty sewing" by Anton Sandqvist who is the founder of Sandqvist. It's got a lot of really useful info and advice on the tools you need that aren't part of the everyday dress-makers setup. Also has some really interesting projects in it of different skill levels that are fun.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...