Desert footwear

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JonLongshanks 31 Jul 2023

I'm thinking about doing some walking in Jordan later this year, which includes some sandy desert and plenty of rocky arid terrain. 
I haven't used walking boots in years, in favour of fell shoes for most things or winter boots.

But I'm wondering about a boot, with no liner, fairly lightweight. The options for classic desert boots seem fairly limited. 

Hoping for some recommendations from people on what works well in a desert environment.

a crap climber 31 Jul 2023
In reply to JonLongshanks:

Have a look at the military market, no end of options for that kind of thing.

If you happen to take about size 11/11.5 I've got a few pairs of Meindle desert boots in size 12 (they come up small for the size hence never been worn), you can have a set in return for a charitable donation.

If you prefer fell shoes have you thought about just putting some mini gaiters on them?

Post edited at 22:25
 Robert Durran 31 Jul 2023

I've spent a lot of time in Wadi Rum and have found approach shoes fine. You may get some sand in them but they can be shaken out. Wearing socks and changing them prevents chafing.

nniff 01 Aug 2023

Something like these

https://www.militarykit.com/products/roamers-suede-desert-boots-taupe?varia...

I've walked hundreds of miles in the desert in things like this (or the version with the suede loops instead of eyelets  https://www.desertboots.com/roamers-mens-4-eyelet-ghillie-tie-desert-boots-... ).  You need some fairly thick non-loopstitch cotton socks (loopstitch catches the sand) and a bit of 'slop' on the fit to keep them airy and let any sand move away from pressure points.  Slightly higher ankle keeps sand out more than the lower ones.   Have the advantage of being cheap as chips.

OP JonLongshanks 01 Aug 2023
In reply to a crap climber:

That's a very kind offer, they will be a little big though. 

I did wonder about gaiters, but I suspect fine dust and sand will creep in through the mesh of the trainers. Perhaps some approach shoes like Robert suggests with a gaiter.

OP JonLongshanks 01 Aug 2023
In reply to nniff:

Great advice on the socks, thank you. Interested by these, they don't seem anything like I'd normally choose, look like a casual shoe! Did you find them comfortable and supportive enough?

Inhambane 02 Aug 2023

Hi I lived and climbed in Jordan for 7 years. I found sportiva tx2 shoes the best for technical wadi rum terriain. Light weight and grippy they lasted me well over 3 years. I don't think you can beat the sand and keep it out of your shoes. If you end up in the loose stuff it will find a way in and you'll want to find a way out.  

for long distance walking I found any walking shoe / approach shoe to be fine and have seen plenty of people in trail runners too.

Winter walking in the north the mud can be very cakey I didn't find anything that managed well with that. 

Post edited at 07:09
 nniff 02 Aug 2023

There are a few things to consider.

You can either try and keep the sand out - and that's going to be hot, sweaty and probably unsuccessful.  The military solution is to fix your trousers around the top of your boots.   If you're out to enjoy yourself, then everything loose is the way to go.

Or, you can accept that sand's going to get in, in which  case some room is good. Air helps keep your feet dry and gives the sand some space to go (i.e. around the edges).  A leather liner or  single layer (suede outside, leather in) is much better than fabric which will both wear out and hang onto sand. Small sand is no problem, but a big piece of grit you're going to have to tip out, so easy lacing is good.  I found the slightly higher, suede loop ones the best, both in terms of comfort, ease of lacing etc and generally keeping stuff out while letting feet breathe.   

As far as support - no issues - they're low, which helps with stability, and a bit of rock to walk on is a relief from schlepping though sand.  Just as long as they've got a decent heel cup so that your foot doesn't slide sideways off the sole.  Don't worry about tread patterns - anything will do.  There are lots of variations in  materials at this price point, and fit can be a bit variable too, but they're a sound option for walking (but not crawling around on your belly or kicking in doors with a massive bergan on your back...)

FreeloaderJoe 24 Aug 2023
In reply to nniff:

I work in hot places and am always amazed at the poor choice of footwear available without gore tex. 

I really recommend looking at the AKU special forces boots if they fit you. Both the spider and the regular pilgrim boots are far lighter than other military boots. The likes of Iowa which were issued in the early periods of the afghan and Iraq wars are really heavy and stiff.

Otherwise I think the AKU ROCK DFS without gore tex are excellent. They have a really nice roomy toe box. Super. 

LucaC 25 Aug 2023

For working in Oman, lugging kit up the big mountains in the desert, I wore a pair of La Sportiva Ganda guides. They don’t make them any more but I’m sure there’s an equivalent. 

For last years jolly to Morocco I just wore a pair of mesh Scarpa running shoes and put up with the sand in my socks every day. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...