If Carlsberg made rucksacks…

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BRILLBRUM 01 Jul 2023

Then they would have made something a little more functional and user friendly than this prancing pony of a contrivance.

https://racing-atelier.com/portfolio/racing-atelier-rucksack1/

I mean… 

Post edited at 23:25
 FactorXXX 02 Jul 2023
In reply to BRILLBRUM:

> Then they would have made something a little more functional and user friendly than this prancing pony of a contrivance.
> https://racing-atelier.com/portfolio/racing-atelier-rucksack1/

Can't see a problem as it's obviously directed at a certain market and not intended to be a serious bit of equipment for proper mountaineers/climbers like us lot on UKC.
Saying that, I do quite like the retro look of it...

Michael Hood 02 Jul 2023
In reply to BRILLBRUM:

At least it's not expensive 🤣🤣🤣

mike123 02 Jul 2023
In reply to FactorXXX:

I like the look of it . Interesting to guess how much it is  before looking , I knew it would be spendy but was still out by a factor of 5 . Looks like the buckles could very well be worth copying .

J72 02 Jul 2023
In reply to BRILLBRUM:

I would consider bag insurance if I was to take that out into the hills - that said it might be an ideal (and of course stylish!) choice for a trip up the funicular for a few insta shots.

wercat 02 Jul 2023
In reply to mike123:

I'm sure leather next to the back is better and more comfortable than "plastic".  It's a very interesting design

james1978 02 Jul 2023
In reply to BRILLBRUM:

I was out by x8. And then you need to add VAT!

*it does look very comfortable though...

toad 02 Jul 2023
In reply to BRILLBRUM:

I think it's purty.  I'd have one like a shot, if I could afford it, just as an object d'art

Siward 02 Jul 2023
In reply to toad:

Hipster rubbish. I have spoken.

Post edited at 10:07
In reply to BRILLBRUM:

Wowsers, thats pricey.

I just bought one of these. Best day sack I ever bought, and a bit cheaper.

https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/mon3477/montane-trailblazer-18-backpack...

J72 02 Jul 2023
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

My larger trailblazer has been great - and pretty good value compared to other sacks 

jkarran 02 Jul 2023
In reply to BRILLBRUM:

Looks great which is a change from most fashion market toss. 

Jk

deepsoup 02 Jul 2023

> Wowsers, thats pricey.

Yes.  Crikey, you could just about afford an Arc'teryx pack for that.

Still cheaper and more practical than this one though:
https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2023/jun/29/microscopic-louis-vuitton-b...

wercat 02 Jul 2023

my daysac looks like the pricey Karrimor PLCE yoke and pair of pouches on the back.  I use it from spring to early winter as I sweat less and it's quite nice to be able to carry your coat externally to the sacs.  Thing is, unlike the Karriimor it only cost 15 quid and I've already had a number of years use out of it.  The local cadets had a stall at Brougham Hall selling unwanted stuff like that and trangia stoves at silly prices.

It is perhaps the best light daysac I've ever had.  And if the yoke gets sweaty it all comes apart to wash.  dry again in a very short time.

Post edited at 18:36
 mike123 02 Jul 2023
In reply to wercat:  whilst this one is clearly silly dear , it’s surprising how little most people think is enough for  a rucksack when one consider what it’s used for and how much it is used . Before my  current pod I had  a karimor alpinist that was completely knackered and had been repaired several times , I had it years but refused to replace it . 

wercat 02 Jul 2023
In reply to mike123:

definitely, - I've had two rucsacks from Aiguille Alpine in Staveley, made to order and they've lasted really well after pretty rugged use (the first one, now relegated to a crag sac, was bought around 1996) and are really well made and practical, but not cheap.  If I buy another rucsack to see me through till I don't need one any more it will be from them.

Post edited at 22:19
 Mike_d78 02 Jul 2023
In reply to BRILLBRUM:

This is to rucsacs, what Leica is to cameras. Overpriced German 'stuff'...but if you have money to burn...

Not even free delivery!

Post edited at 22:25
 Ramblin dave 03 Jul 2023
In reply to Mike_d78:

> This is to rucsacs, what Leica is to cameras. Overpriced German 'stuff'...but if you have money to burn...

Dunno if that's fair on Leica tbh - they're a proper historic camera company even if you think they're trading on their reputation a bit these days, whereas these people seem to be straight-up high-end fashion / design stuff "taking inspiration from the blah blah blah". I mean, I don't hate it but it might as well be on Mars for the relevance it has to my life.

Actually, this reminds me a bit of looking at changing bags when we had our first kid. I think I was still in the mindset of outdoor kit where you can mostly explain higher prices in terms of incremental functional improvements based on better materials and little design tweaks and stuff and it's just a question of deciding when you've hit diminishing returns. I was kind-of surprised when I looked at baby stuff to find that I'd entered the world of stuff that rich people buy, not because it's functionally amazing but because it accessorises with their Prada outfits and their minimalist Scandinavian interiors and all that sort of stuff, and that you could spend literally hundreds of pounds on something that was no better than the cheap-and-cheerful thing that we got.

mike123 03 Jul 2023
In reply to Siward: hipster ? Yes . Rubbish ? I suspect not . Just for entertainment . I ve been showing a few people at work , asking is they would buy it and how much they thought it was . A mixture of outdoorsy types and not  . Lowest guess  was £150  Highest £400 . I reckon if it was £300 I’d buy one . 

wintertree 03 Jul 2023
In reply to BRILLBRUM:

> If Carlsberg made rucksacks…

… they’d smell of piss?  Which I imagine this will after it’s gets sweated into a few times.

mike123 03 Jul 2023
In reply to wintertree: does your sweat smell of piss ? You should get that looked at 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...