Alpkit Tetri vs. Alpkit Viso 2

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alex_th 28 Jun 2023

I want to get a tent for my boys and I am swithering between the Alpkit Tetri and the Alpkit Viso 2.

The Tetri looks as if it would stand up to worse weather, while the Viso 2 is 5" higher and has a huge porch.

I am bit suspicious of the double hoop design of the Viso 2, since my 1989 Vango Hurricane was also of this design and it did not keep the fly sheet away from inner well, meaning there was always contact in wet weather and it always got wet inside. However, I don't know whether that is an inherent flaw of the double hoop design, or a particular problem of that generation of Vango Hurricane.

Can any owners of either of these two tents comment? In particular on how weather resistant the Viso 2 is?

johnlc 28 Jun 2023
In reply to alex_th:

I have an Alpkit Visio 2 and have no complaints.  It is a bit heavy for backpacking and I have never had to test it in hostile weather though.  I love the big porch and have never experienced the inner and outer touching.  It seems robust and for car boot camping and easy backpacking it is fine.  That said, I have carried it into the Cairngorms and the Knoydard estate, so it is not impossibly heavy.

mike123 28 Jun 2023
In reply to alex_th: I’ve got both and bought them for back packing with the kids . If I was to choose to keep one for me and one other person it would be the tetri . I can still get me and two teenage kids plus sacs in  and cook in the rain  in the viso 2 and in terms of practicality it trumps the tetri . I ve  used the tetri in bad ish weather and it was fine , I ve never used the viso in anything g other than “ a bit rainy “. 

bigbobbyking 28 Jun 2023
In reply to alex_th:

I have a general bias against tunnel tents as they need good peg placements to stand up properly. I've quite often found myself on ground with poor peg placements and as a result a saggy tunnel tent. For this reason I'd always choose the geodesic tent.

In reply to alex_th:

I've the Alpkit Tetri and I really like it. It's too heavy for me backpacking nowadays but still comes out on some car camping trips. I've had it out in some quite daft weather - storm Brian on Dartmoor was an experience of inexperience - and it's held up fine. It's a really cosy (as in feels solid not small) and easy to put up tent. No experience of the Viso mind. 

OP alex_th 07 Jul 2023
In reply to alex_th:

Thanks everybody for the advice. I've decided to go for the Tetri.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...