Start dreaming - it's time to open the seed catalogue

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LeeWood 26 Feb 2023

I've just ordered seeds to the value of 120 euros, and wondering just how rash is this; what value of seed trade is justified by never to be fulfilled dreams ? Somewhere between lack of knowledge, vagaries of the weather, experimentation with new varieties, or lack of attention at the right moment, I lose at least 33% of my seedstock, by a quick estimate.

This year among many others, I've ambitiously ordered 2 varieties of broccoli, 2 varieties of sweet pepper, and brussel sprouts which have never done well in previous years. Those clever staff who create the seed catalog artwork are already laughing

Wish me luck, and do tell how your gardening dreams work out ?!

Doug 26 Feb 2023
In reply to LeeWood:

Any turnips?

Linda Orritt 26 Feb 2023
In reply to LeeWood:

I always struggled with peas but kept buying as I love them straight from the plant. I’m in a peaty area and they needed lime adding to the soil. No problem after that. 
I’ve managed broccoli but as it’s cold and wet here pests can be a problem. In recent years I’ve bought small plants from a plant guy ( off the market) and had better success. It worked out cheaper too. Best of luck. 
sheep wool works against slugs btw

ps. Hasn’t the price of seeds gone up too?!!

OP LeeWood 26 Feb 2023
In reply to Doug:

absolutely ! 'Nancy' work best in my ground and are earlier; I've tried yellow turnips and 'Hatif de Auvergne' without the same success (I'm in SW France)

OP LeeWood 26 Feb 2023
In reply to Linda Orritt:

Since a couple of years I've been growing mange-tout peas under plastic (after the tomatoes). Planted late Oct or early Nov they advance slowly but steadily through the winter months, then shoot up in March and give generously in April. This is advantageous timing - before pests common in warmer months get going.

BusyLizzie 27 Feb 2023
In reply to LeeWood:

Last autumn I made a raised bed - my first ever piece of woodwork!! There are autumn-sown peas in it now, and I am going seed-shopping next Saturday and looking forward to the growing season with great excitement. I already have tomato seedlings coming on nicely.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...