Scottish climbing waterproof bottoms

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ReeceBCooper 14 Feb 2023

Hi people on my phone hope you’re okay. 
wondering if you might be able to help me out, I’m wanting to head up into the mountains more and looking at upgrading my waterproof bottoms. Most of my layers are Patagonia but I have started looking into other brands I’m only a small guy 5”8, I’m looking at Gore-Tex pro preferable as I want the face fabric to withstand grit and other rock, I’d also be looking at 3/4 or full length zip. I get a small discount on Patagonia, Montane and Arcteryx so I was considering them. But any advice would be brilliant. 

kathrync 14 Feb 2023
In reply to ReeceBCooper:

You don't say what activities you are doing. My choice of legwear changes depending on what I am doing. 

If I'm walking or scrambling, I usually wear softshell trousers. I carry a lightweight pair of waterproof trousers just in case. I generally find that when I'm putting in some effort, the softshell is enough unless it's really pouring. It's extremely rare that I get the waterproof trousers out, however there have been a couple of cases where having them has been invaluable. As I don't wear them much and they spend most of their time in my bag, I have prioritised low weight over toughness so that I don't have a good excuse not to take them!

If I'm rock climbing, I generally take the view that if it's pouring, I'm probably not going to be climbing, so I wear softshells. If I take any waterproof trousers at all, it's the lightweight ones again.

If I'm winter climbing or skiing, I like bibs so that I can sit in the snow (e.g., in a bucket seat) or fall over skiing and not get snow inside my clothes. Look for good tough crampon patches! I generally find these are too hot to do significant walking in. It's worth making sure that whatever you buy has a sensible ventilation system.

I tend to shop around and buy whatever fits me best rather than going for specific brands. Most of the obvious brands will be fine if they fit you, you have realistic expectations, and you look after them properly. Brands I'm using at the moment are Mountain Equipment (softshell), Montane (lightweight) and Patagonia (bibs).

For either approach, I prefer my outer layer (softshell or bibs) to be unlined, and slightly oversized. That allows me to be flexible with what layers I put on underneath depending on the temperature and how hard I expect to be working.

65 14 Feb 2023
 LucaC 15 Feb 2023
In reply to ReeceBCooper:

For reasonable weather I go for lined soft shells (Rab Vapourise) with waterproof over trousers to put on before climbing/if it rains. Currently using some Rab Pertex Shield ones which are fine, if a little delicate. Previously I’ve used Patagonia Super Alpine salopettes and Arcteryx Alpha salopettes. High waisted trousers/salopettes are great in the winter for holding all your layers tucked in and keeping your core warm. If you can find waterproofs with at least a 70 dernier face fabric they should be relatively hard wearing. 

If it’s really wet and gross (waterproofs from the car park weather) I’ve got some Paramo Aspira Salopettes which are great. I’ll wear these with some medium or lightweight leggings depending on the temperature. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...