Zermatt climbing guidebooks/topos

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mattmon 31 Jan 2023

Hello everyone,

I’m heading to Zermatt in August and I was hoping to do some climbing on the Riffelhorn and any other easy crags around Zermatt. 
I am really struggling to find any guidebooks or topos for the Riffelhorn or surrounding area. 
hoping someone could point me in the right direction . 
thanks 

Removed User 31 Jan 2023
In reply to Mattmon:

You don't need much info on the Riffelhorn, just get of the train and follow the bolts/crowds if you're doing the normal route. I think it was only about 2 pitches of diff and some scrambling though my memory is very vague.

Post edited at 11:52
 MG 31 Jan 2023
In reply to Removed User:

There's a lot of other climbs on the flanks too, those over the ???glacier are in a super position. The AC Valais Alps East  has a selection but there are many more. I think the Guides Office in Zermatt will have info.

JLS 31 Jan 2023
In reply to Mattmon:

The 2004 Plaisersir West guide has about 10 multipitch routes on Riffelhorn. I expect this isn't definitive.

If you can't find a more up-to-date guide message me via UKC and I'll send a photo of the relevant pages...

Post edited at 12:10
 JLS 31 Jan 2023
In reply to Mattmon:

Riffelhorn is still in the 2019 version...

https://www.filidor.ch/en/climbing-guidebooks/schweiz-plaisir-west-volume-2

...but I reckon that's the only Zermatt crag in the book so not ideal.

EwanR 31 Jan 2023
In reply to Mattmon:

There isn't really that much easy climbing in the Mattertal - Medji is the classic crag but nothing at all easy there.

For all the options you want the "Oberwallis" guide by the Swiss Alpine Club which is in German and English. The online guide hasn't yet caught up so the paper option is still the best.

For places with routes less than 6a there's:

Hohtschugge
Seetalhorn
Reidgletscher

Weisshorn

Resti

Fluhalp

and obviously the routes on the Riffelhorn and Gornerflüe. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...