Is Gecko tech the future of climbing?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Holdtickler 28 Jan 2023

I just watched this vid:

youtube.com/watch?v=vS0TuIPoeBs&

Wow that stuff could have so many applications in our favourite hobby. Do you think we'll have gecko boots one day? Or even gecko gloves? (aid and cheating surely!) Will trad gear and bolts be a thing of the past if you can just slap on a gecko runner whenever you need one. Multipoint gecko anchors? Gecko hybrid trad gear? Will we be the old school "no gecko gang" like the old Clean hands gang while our grandkids whip up 20c+s on a rest day?

Whatever the answers, its going to be interesting to see how this develops! What do you think?

Lankyman 28 Jan 2023
In reply to Holdtickler:

I put socks over my EB's and my feet stuck like sh1t to a blanket!

OP Holdtickler 28 Jan 2023

Stuck on the crux 20 pitches up? No probs! Robogecko belayer will just haul you up!

Martin Hore 28 Jan 2023
In reply to Holdtickler:

Could certainly enliven he debate over the grade of Three Pebble Slab

Kryank 29 Jan 2023
In reply to Holdtickler:

Really interesting video, thanks for the share! 😃

yodadave 29 Jan 2023
In reply to Holdtickler:

fascinating, but for most of the video the tape was on very smooth objects. how was the wee robot using it on the rock? surely it would have far far less surface area?

I also couldn't help thinking that some clever hold manufacturer could help them with their wax block mold for making the tape. 

OP Holdtickler 29 Jan 2023
In reply to yodadave:

Yeah, there were a few shots of a robot on what looked like fairly rough featured rock but I'm not sure if this was a CG job because when I googled it I could only find one that climbed up glass. We're not quite there yet. Bet it could climb slate. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...