Black diamond clothing guarantee ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mike123 14 Jan 2023

Does anybody have experience of BD repairing stuff ? The zip ( zipper ? ) has just fallen off my go to fleece hoody . It was purchased about 7 years ago but has only really been used for 3 years . It is well used but still in good Nic . If this was patagucci they would put a new zip  in without question . Anybody know what BD will do ?

Max factor 14 Jan 2023
In reply to mike123:

I don't know about BD, sorry, but have a similar question about an arcteryx jacket with a failed zipper. It's about 5 years old, I had assumed it would be out of warranty but if anyone has experience that suggests I should chance my arm, i'd be grateful to hear it.

icehockeyhair 14 Jan 2023
In reply to mike123:

Don’t know about the guarantee but if that doesn’t work there are now quite a few repair services that should be able to repair it. Think patagucci will do other brands and I’ve previously used Alpkit and Scottish Mountain Gear.

OP mike123 14 Jan 2023
In reply to icehockeyhair: I’ve used Scottish mountain gear for other brands and they are excellent . But if this was patagucci I would just need to drop it into mountain factor in Ambleside ( where I’ve purchased quiet a bit of kit from ) and in 5 or 6 weeks it would come back with a new zip . I ve just been on the BD website and filled out their form and uploaded a couple of pictures . They said that “ apparel “ is warrantied for the usable life of the product . Hmmm . Let’s see .

smally 14 Jan 2023
In reply to mike123:

Do you mean the slider has fallen off the zip? It's the part you pull to mesh both sections of the coils/teeth together.

If it's a lost/damaged slider this is an easy fix at home. First you need to know what type of zip you have on the jacket. More often than not the zip will be of a YKK Vislon  type, especially if it's a more expensive brand. These zips are the ones that have plastic molded teeth rather than a plastic coil on both sides.

Next is the trickier task of finding what size the slider/zip is (Not the length of the zip). If you still have the original slider there is sometimes a number on the back of the slider, these no's roughly equate to the width of the meshed zip. I find a No. 5 zip is the most commonly used  for jackets (you would find V5 on the back of the slider, ie. a Vislon size 5 zip).

Assuming it's not a 2 way zip (one that has 2 sliders and can be unzipped from the bottom once zipped up) then just go on ebay and search for a No5 slider for a Vislon zip, there a fair few available. Likewise if it's a coil zip or a larger size just look for those.

Once you have the slider there are plenty of videos showing how to fit the new slider onto the old zip, I just snip the top of one side of the zip (it has to be the correct side), slip the slider on and carefully super glue the cut fabric.

This all assumes that the teeth/coils of the zip are not damaged, then it's your original route of full repair. The slider replacement is such a quick ,easy and cheap option it's worth trying first. Plus you get the warm glow of satisfaction from fixing it yourself and extending the life of your gear.

In reply to mike123:

Honestly mate, it's a 7 year old well used hoody. Just take it to your local repair shop and get them to put a new zip on it. 

OP mike123 14 Jan 2023
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant: no it’s not  .

OP mike123 14 Jan 2023
In reply to smally: thanks for taking the time to write this . I’ll see what they say and have a go . In reply to tunky : I hardly buy any outdoor clothing that’s not Patagonia because of the cast iron guarantee , I  like to think I ve bought / consumed less kit because of this . I’m wearing a fleece that has had the zip replaced by them right . I bought the BD fleece in question because I need one to wear while my Patagonia one was receiving a good mending and  it was on sale and I really liked the technical cut of it . Even though there is no practical connection ( I think ) between the two companies , There is an obvious  Shared history . I think BD clothing is probably perceived as being “ cooler “ , but if their back up is just the same as all the other quality brands then they are nt are they ?

In reply to mike123:

> It was purchased about 7 years ago

> It is well used 

Andypeak 14 Jan 2023
In reply to mike123:

Any good local tailor/seamstress will be able to put a new zip in for not a lot of cash. It's not a hugely difficult job for anyone with a sewing machine and the required skills

RobertKett 14 Jan 2023
In reply to mike123:

FWIW I've just the main zip replaced in a (Rab Powerstretch) jacket. The local sewing/repairs/alterations people have done a very neat job with a good zip; cost me £25.  I don't know how that compares, but I'm happy with the work (and I didn't have to send it away). 

RobertKett 14 Jan 2023
In reply to RobertKett:

I meant to add; it was my fault/clumsiness that damaged the original. Doh!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...