Rab Solar Eco 2 or 3 thoughts?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 J72 09 Jan 2023

Has anyone had any experience of either of these bags and give a view?  Looking for something mostly for summer and edges of other seasons.  

This would be used for summit camps in Scotland, for lower level summer camping i’m all set but have often reached the limitations of my bag’s warmth and looking for something warmer for those trips where it’s needed eg. when temps drop overnight (have been caught out before even at the height of summer).

Alex Riley 10 Jan 2023
In reply to J72:

I had one for a trip to Yosemite this year and had quite big issues with the rated temperatures being off. It was at least 10c+ over the bags comfort limit and I was cold most nights. There were other factors that could mean I was more cold than normal, for example calorie deficit and exertion, but at the end of the day the bag was over specced by 10c and still didn't perform.

I sold mine as soon as I got back. Its a shame because they are well.made, but just not that warm.

OP J72 10 Jan 2023
In reply to Alex Riley:

Thanks Alex, really helpful.  Was that the 2 or the 3 and I assume that’s 10 degrees ‘C’ rather than ‘F’? 

Alex Riley 10 Jan 2023
In reply to J72:

The 2. 

Comfort 4c, limit -2c, extreme -17c.

Night time temp didn't go below 12c, I was using a good quality mat and sleeping in dry thermals (but I did climb two big walls in a week, so pretty tired and run down).

OP J72 10 Jan 2023
In reply to Alex Riley:

Thanks - that is very far off the temperature ratings indeed!  I shall avoid, zero chance of that bag being suitable even in a Scottish summer 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...