Winter running gear advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Levy_danny 10 Dec 2022

Morning all,

I’ve got a few potentially quite cold long events coming up, I’ve got lost my gear sorted but thinking of upgrading my waterproof trousers to something that would be more pleasant to run in if needed rather than just put on in an emergency. I’ve had a look at some OMM ones and Inov 8 ones online and they both look good but any other options or preference towards either?

With an eye on tour de helvellyn next weekend and potentially really cold weather I’m also thinking about picking up some micro spikes. Having never used anything like this in the past any recommendations. The Kahoola ones look decent  but are a bit more than I was expecting to pay.

I’m happy to spend a bit of money on both items if they’re both worth it as I know I’ll be using for a good few years.

cheers

Dan

greg_may_ 10 Dec 2022
In reply to Levy_danny:

I've had the same pair of Salomon water proof trousers for quite a few years and only ever run in them a few times. It's needed to be really wet and I've already been cold before they've gone on. In truly cold weather I've always opted for warmer windproof tights (La Sportiva Primal of late, XC skiing tights in the past) and worn Kamalika shorts if I feel like I need the extra warmth or wind protection for my genitals. 

Spikes wise, if I know it's going to be perma snow/ice on the ground I use my tried and tested Inov-8 Arctic Claws - but I don't think they make them any more. Otherwise, if it's going to be mixed, I'll have one of my pairs of dobbed orienteering shoes on.

I do have microspikes, but I can only think of one time I've used them, when I also had a very light skimo/running axe and it was mainly to aid in a traverse section that could have ended up badly. We do have a few pairs of the curly wire ones in the house that I've thrown into bag on occasion. But I've mainly used them on parents when they've been over in the winter! 

OP Levy_danny 10 Dec 2022
In reply to greg_may_:

Ace I’ve just got my first pair of tights but they’re a winter pair so should do the job on that front. 

mountainbagger 10 Dec 2022
In reply to Levy_danny:

> Ace I’ve just got my first pair of tights but they’re a winter pair so should do the job on that front. 

Yes. Also depends how much you're working/how fast you're moving and whether you typically run hot or not.

If I'm mostly running (will you be in this event?), I never want to put trousers on and, looking at the possible temps, winter tights would do me fine.

If I thought I would be doing a lot of fast walking maybe I'd think differently (trousers, poles) but I haven't done anything long enough where that might happen for extended periods (e.g. Spine Race?). Apart from actually going for a walk of course! But then some people wear tights for walking too. So maybe just about what you find comfortable as I think you will be warm enough.

OP Levy_danny 10 Dec 2022
In reply to mountainbagger:

I typically run quite warm and plan to run a lot of the TDH so think I should be fine hopefully in just the tights. I’ve typically only worn shorts during winter runs but granted they are usually half marathons or less. I’ve got the arc 50 end of jan but hopefully won’t be quite as cold down in Cornwall. 

andyflem 10 Dec 2022
In reply to Levy_danny:

I’ve started using some OMM waterproof shorts. Sounds like an odd idea but they really seem to work for me. Very light and breathable, no different to normal shorts really, and generally worn over a close fitting Lycra pair. They protect the front and rear parts vulnerable to the cold and wind at this time of the year. Not worn in rain yet but should take the run off from a jacket and channel it lower down on to the moving legs where it matters less. Could be worn over tights rather than bare legs in rougher weather. Leaves full length waterproof trousers for those less frequent occasions when it’s gone beyond sensible.

i really rate them and will be heading out in them this morning in Wensleydale 

dread-i 10 Dec 2022
In reply to Levy_danny:

>The Kahoola ones look decent  but are a bit more than I was expecting to pay.

I've got some pogu ones, which are cheaper. Quite heavy though and chunky, so you might not be doing much running.

I also have some yaktrax, both the curly ones and the mini spikes. Both are good on sheet ice or icy slabs on the pw etc. Much easier to run it, but tricky to put on with gloves and can ballup and the velcro ices up as well. The mini spikes, seem to have bent, over a year or two. But these are just to get you out of a slippery spot, rather than something that will last decades.

With trousers, make sure they can go on over your shoes. I know it sounds obvious, but worth checking. Some of the walking ones, with zips right up the sides are good, as you can easily vent them, by undoing the zips at the top.

Top tip, take some plastic gloves from the petrol station. They weight nothing, take up little space and when your main gloves wet out, you can put them on. Not super warm, but better than nothing.

SFM 10 Dec 2022
In reply to andyflem:

I use exactly this set up in cold/wet/windy conditions. Gives me flexibility to wear Lycra shorts, thin or thick leggings. I can attest to them working well in the rain deflecting the run off from a jacket. Makes life far more pleasant and you feel less constricted than you otherwise would in full length waterproofs. It did take a bit of trial and error to get it right for me.

In reply to Levy_danny:

I acquired some Nortec Alp 2.0 microcrampons last winter, after taking a tumble on some snow covered ice. They do the job just fine, easy to put on with gloved hands, feel very secure thanks to the velcro strap, sturdily made, and really bite into the ice well. Nortec also publish a very detailed sizing chart, so you can be sure of getting a good fit. Recommended.

PS - I haven't tried running in them.

Post edited at 17:07
In reply to Levy_danny:

I also tried some Yaktrax - which consist of wire coiled over a stretchy web of rubber. They worked well on flattish ice, are very light, and may be more suited to running, but they are not very durable - the rubber was almost cut through in a couple of places after just a mile on the hill. Relegated to dog walking duties.

timjones 10 Dec 2022
In reply to Levy_danny:

> Morning all,

> I’ve got a few potentially quite cold long events coming up, I’ve got lost my gear sorted but thinking of upgrading my waterproof trousers to something that would be more pleasant to run in if needed rather than just put on in an emergency. I’ve had a look at some OMM ones and Inov 8 ones online and they both look good but any other options or preference towards either?

> With an eye on tour de helvellyn next weekend and potentially really cold weather I’m also thinking about picking up some micro spikes. Having never used anything like this in the past any recommendations. The Kahoola ones look decent  but are a bit more than I was expecting to pay.

> I’m happy to spend a bit of money on both items if they’re both worth it as I know I’ll be using for a good few years.

I find that it was to be really wet and miserable before I consider it necessary to pull on a pair of waterproof trousers. 

When it has got that unpleasant I'm relly not too bothered about how pleasant they are to run in, for that reason I use a really cheap and cheerful Regatta pair.

SouthernSteve 10 Dec 2022
In reply to Levy_danny:

For what's it worth I have run in my OMM overtrousers, it was horizontal sleet on the Langdale Pikes and it was pretty OK. I have hardly ever used them else. I do have a pair of waterproof shorts which I put on early in wet weather and I would recommend that tactic. 

OP Levy_danny 12 Dec 2022
In reply to Levy_danny:

In a moment of consumerist madness yesterday while looking at micro spikes I bought a pair of Inov 8 orocs with metal dobbers on. I’ve decided to swerve the waterproofs for now but really intrigued by the idea of waterproof shorts I feel like they’d have a good place for my cycling commute in rain as well. 

still unsure about these orocs but I’ll probably wear on Saturday if the weather stays as predicted I bought online as well so not sure what fit will be completely like but got the the same as my other Inov 8 

compost 12 Dec 2022
In reply to Levy_danny:

I've run in Yaktrax a few times any they work brilliantly - to a point. When they fail, they fail quickly!

I'm also a fan of waterproof shorts - For my bike commute I bought army surplus goretex trousers for about £10 from eBay and cut the legs off just below the knees. I've since cut them off a bit higher and now use them for running in the worst conditions. They're great :-D  

Stabbsy 12 Dec 2022
In reply to Levy_danny:

> In a moment of consumerist madness yesterday while looking at micro spikes I bought a pair of Inov 8 orocs with metal dobbers on. I’ve decided to swerve the waterproofs for now but really intrigued by the idea of waterproof shorts I feel like they’d have a good place for my cycling commute in rain as well. 

I did the same last year - bit of a luxury, but I'm into double figures of running shoes so it's only one more pair! They only get used a couple of times a year, but far nicer than running in micro spikes or whatever.

shuffle 12 Dec 2022
In reply to Levy_danny:

I've got Arctic Claws for winter running and love them. Much more comfortable than regular fell shoes and microspikes and because they don't get used massively often, they last ages.

ExiledScot 12 Dec 2022
In reply to Levy_danny:

Thermal shreddies, got to keep your tackle warm. 

mountainbagger 18 Dec 2022
In reply to Levy_danny:

How'd you get on in the TdH? It was, apparently, very icy, so maybe the Orocs worked well?

OP Levy_danny 18 Dec 2022
In reply to mountainbagger:

the race was shortened by 11 miles to around 27.

Orocs worked absolutely amazingly on the sheet ice. The road sections of which there were probably at least 6 miles were too great any my feet were a bit sore by the end. I’ll definitely keep them for similar conditions should last a good few years.

Because they worked so well I absolutely hammered it to the first checkpoint literally making a point of running on all the ice as it was so much fun. Definitely screwed me over for the second half of the race as my legs were knackered on the return leg and stuggled to muster a run on anything slightly up hill.

was a great day out and after disappointed initially by the shortened course was pretty glad it was by the end. I will be returning for sure.  

plyometrics 18 Dec 2022
In reply to Levy_danny:

Well done doing it, great effort given the conditions but sounds like you had the right kit.

My mate and I had a nightmare driving to the start from kendal in the snow. When we got there we just couldn’t be arsed with having to deal with the sheet ice for the sake of a shortened course, so just ended up having a plod up loadpot hill instead.

Disappointed, but it was the right choice by the event director. Suspect there will be a few sore bums today from slips on the ice!

OP Levy_danny 18 Dec 2022
In reply to plyometrics:

100% the right choice, the roads around Askham were so dodgy, I somehow missed the car park at the pub and had to turn round and my wheels were just spinning, it didn’t even look too icy which was the incredibly dangerous thing. it was almost like the whole village was covered in black ice.

drunken monkey 19 Dec 2022
In reply to Levy_danny:

Dont want to hijack Dan's thread but it does kinda fit with the theme. Anyone recommend some winter base layers? Been looking at Under Armour Cold Gear but are there alternatives out there that folk find work well. It'd be for the Spine Challenger in January, so multi-day race in probably what'll be pretty boggin conditions. Cheers

OP Levy_danny 19 Dec 2022
In reply to drunken monkey:

I wore inov8 winter tights for the first time yesterday (first time wearing tights ever) and they were warm and not too sweaty. I kind of wish I wore shorts but I would recommend them for sure especially if I was out for hours and hours. 

girlymonkey 19 Dec 2022
In reply to Levy_danny:

I have used black diamond access microspikes for running and really like them. They are small and light to carry and I found them good to run in. I also have an ultra light ice axe (I think it's the Grivel ghost). I did find my running gait was a bit odd with the axe in my hands, but I wanted one out for where I was.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...