Rab valiance old version or new?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 KennyBec 11 Oct 2022

Hi people ..I have been looking at the rab valiance jacket and as I have been considering it they have introduced a new version.  The main difference I can see is the old one had 170 grams of 800 fill down the new one has 205 grams of 700 fill down.  So my question is ( trying to put price to one side but not Completely) which is the better jacket?  Should I hurry up and try and find the old version( still a few around) or go for the new version.  I'm half inclined to think the older version is possibly the better jacket?  Many thanks 

mrmann007 11 Oct 2022
In reply to KennyBec:

I have had mine a couple of years now, so have the 'old' one and it is by far the best jacket I have ever purchased. It has definitely been worth every penny! Can't say I have tried the new one though. 

Iamgregp 11 Oct 2022
In reply to KennyBec:

Same here, I've had mine for 2 years and it's absolutely outstanding, super impressed with it! 

No idea how it stacks up against the new one, but the old is perfect.

VictorM 12 Oct 2022
In reply to KennyBec:

Try to find the down/feather ratio used in the fill  for both jackets. These are the three data points you need to properly compare the two:

Fill weight

CUIN/fill power

Down/feather ratio. 

Generally the higher the better, where the last one is expressed in ratios, such as 95/5 or 90/10. You'll want to have a higher first number, as this expresses the percentage of down used, which has more insulating ability than feathers. 

As it stands now I'd say the difference is negligible and I would make my choice based on other differences - maybe the old one has better features. Rab did just gut the Torque Jacket so I wouldn't be surprised

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...